I don't get it... Please help to explain...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by coswecanfly, 29 Jun 2011.

1. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Everything else in my tank seems to be happy as hell... My zoas and button polyps are beautifully open, my frogspawn has doubled in size, red mushrooms are popping up faster than you can say MASA... I have a green mussel that has doubled in size... My nassarius snails are eating like PIGS... My cleaner shrimp shed a shell three days after I got him and I arrived home today to find one of my blue legged hermits has also shed a shell... (boy did I get a fright when I saw a pincer lying around)...

Now please tell me... WHY did the ocealaris die?

All parameters are fine... Did a water change when I got home just in case he fowled the water up after he died...

Come all you experts...

Opinions please...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. regis

regis

sometimes things just die. maybe he had something internal, as you said he wasnt eating, were did you buy him?

4. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

For how long did you had it. There could be several reasons.

5. coswecanfly

coswecanfly Thread Starter

I had him about two weeks... He just stopped eating and lost some colour... I can't say on here where I bought him... :biggrin:

6. Ari

Ari

I'm no expert... but remember anything can go wrong with this hobby:(

7. regis

regis

i just asked beacause i went to a lfs and all there fish are sick, in every tank.

8. coswecanfly

It's just sad and I want to know if it's something I did and should do differently next time... :(

9. regis

regis

I lost a fish last wwek, I think the hermits got it.

10. coswecanfly

Yes, between the hermits and nassarius there was not much left of the poor little bugger this morning... What a sight to wake up to... :(

11. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I agree.
    All animals have problems - organs that are undeveloped / hart problems
    harmfull genetic faults , he may have been fine on the outside , but we cant see whats on the inside , so sometimes its nobodys fault...

If all is well with the rest of the tank ,it may have been one of these situations.

David

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i dont think its you, its a common ocurrence for newly imported clowns to arive looking hundreds and die a few days later..

some refer to it as clownfish disease as nothing else contracts the illness..

still a little hazy as to the actual cause but i have had this happen twice to me now..

13. coswecanfly

Thanks everybody... Feeling a lot better now... I think I'll just play with what I have for now and get a fish again when I'm done grieving... Shelly the cleaner shrimp is really fun... I like clown fish but after what Leslie said I don't know if I'll go the clown route again...

14. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

:eek:

Thanks leslie ...;) lol

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Agree with les. Has happened to me a few times...only fish I have lost for no real reason within days of purchasing.

Some reckon it has to do with them being tank bred and being kept in sterile systems their immune systems are not as strong and on being introduced to a system not as sterile they are very suseptible to picking up disease.
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. DarrenT

DarrenT

It is hard to tell, but i think it could be due to being poorly acclimitated to a tank. Maybe the LFS didnt introduce the fish properly into their tanks. LFS tanks are filled with nitrates as they over populate their tanks and dont do regular water changes to keep the nitrates down. So by the clown being quickly and poorly introduced the nitrate may have damaged some of it's internal organs causing him to die.

17. Paul B

Paul B

This is simple. Being all of your other corals are doing so well, they are exuding substances into the water that kills or at least hinders other things. Most corals exude something to guard against being overgrown by other corals. In the sea this defense works for the few inches around a coral, but in a tank these substances build up so we can not keep everything all the time in the same tank.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Good clean up crew.
    Did you leave the rest of the clown in the tank? For the clean up crew to clean up.

19. amalick

amalick

Somethings are just too hard to explain or justify. I for instance keep elegance, goniopora, alviopora, gorgonians and lots of other stuff considered medium to hard to keep etc.. but I just cant keep a single leather or xenia alive which are considered beginner corals - Go figure

Last edited: 29 Jun 2011
  20. Annoying

Annoying

Fish and other live stock WILL die one or other time without a valid explanation. It's just how it works. Like previously stated it could have happened by numerous causes that almost non you could have done anything about. You tried your best to feed the guy and to get it healthy unfortunately sometimes this isn't enough. Don't shoot down all clowns, they are great fish to have chin up and try again. A year ago I started my tank again and bought a few fish from a lfs, they were beautiful fish and 2 days after they all died, I was devastated, I tested anything that could have tested and water changes like nothing. After some research it turns out that they had cyanide poisoning. In other words little symptoms and nothing I could have done. Just stand strong and go and search for a healthy new clown:thumbup:

21. coswecanfly

Not so sure about this one... If logic serves me correctly then, if this senario were true, none of us should have any kind of success at all...

For the rest of you, thank you very much for your advice and support...

I think I'll leave the tank with just a CUC for a while before stocking any fish again...

Recent Posts