I am outta here!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by seank, 9 Apr 2009.

1. seank

seank

I thought of posting this in the private forum, but it will stay there as discussions will only be between the mods etc and feel to rather have it in the open forum for all to say their say and get done with it- hence this being in the Sump- where "everything goes".

This is my way of seeing this Forum: MASA= OPEN PUBLIC FORUM

1.)I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that "groupies" are forming (nothing new to a forum- just did not expect it from Masa(maybe I had higher hopes)). Groupies meaning: Certain members tend to post only on certain members's threads or reply only to specific members's posts, again, not much wrong with it, but, if this is becoming a regular thing and intensionally ignoring other members etc, it gets my blood boiling.

2.) Sponsors only replying to certain members posts- (not talking about the business side of it.) in friendly chit chat and then ignoring certain newbies as well as older members, etc

3.) I know there are people that do not like me.... (****es, bite me as I really care less), but for the sake of a successful forum I still contact them and accept them for who they are, I like to make jokes and maybe go over the edge regarding some of my comments sometimes, but this is who I am, never a dull moment in my life, and I never have enemies (who wants to kill me for some minor stupidities I know off...LoL) that stays enemies for long, I would rather go out and rectify the matter, instead of sitting in a corner and slit my wrists, or for this matter, stay off a Forum, But I Think I have had enough of this Childish, petty, stupid little (Yes little- as there are worse things in life happening as we speak) things that leaves sour tastes in ones mouth....

I have been fortunate to have been asked to join the "Guru" section and I know I was not of much help yet (Maybe the questions should have been more directed...LoL), But I friendly and kindly ask to be removed from the private forum as I do not like talking behind people's/members backs. I know it is probably neccacary(spelling) for mods to communicate re posts/threads (like this one now) where we cannot see it, but am really not interested anymore in this "behind your back" talk.

I firmly believe that if you do have a problem with another member, to kindly contact/pm/e-mail him and resolve problems "OFF AIR" wrt the specific members up front.

The fact that members do not want to post anymore due to certain members posting on their threads, is a whole lot of crap from my point of view- again, kindly pm the specific person you have problems with and sort it out.

If people cannot even accept each other on a forum (with whom they have never met personally), I can for the life of me not see them in a society with millions of cultures/personalities, get along with other people, let alone get along with themselves- it is sick that people cannot accept each other for who they are... Man, this has to be the worst case of Childishness I have ever seen... Grow up!!!!!!

And let me sommer (while I am at it) say the real reason for me not wanting or be interested in TOTM- The only reason is that I do not like the Sponsor of the Competition, and the only reason why I do not like him, is solely for the reasons I have stated above. So yes, I am also guilty of being childish and not Pm'ing or e-mailing him and sorting it out.But I will do that now!!!

But these things have to stop on this Forum as it will kill a Forum. I also see/ hear of people leaving the Forum for some reason or another, and have asked them many a time: Are you leaving for the right reason, or is it just a personality Clash???- 99% normally turns out to be a personality Clash.... For the Life of it people, sort it out, why do this to others??????

Man, I wish I could take everyone to a 02 year army course where they have to live with one another in the harshest of circuimstances and then figure out that no ones personality is the same. All people on earth are Unique, that is what makes life so Interesting.

Good luck with all your endevours- I'll be back when this crap is sorted.

And please Mods, read all the posts if you want to know where I am coming from- I just have this feeling that you do see this as well...

Adious Amigos- have a splendid one :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sorry to hear. Would love to know the members that are the problem, behind the scenes.

4. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Sean you have contributed immensely to this site and i urge you to continue.

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sean, im really sorry about the way you feel, call me when you are free and we will discuss this.

6. crispin

crispin

my name might give you an indication.

i am sorry you feel like that Sean, and indeed i still feel that the guru room was a correct platform to discuss it, or would you rather have had it that I go out with that sort of stuff in open and bring the forum down.

i wasnt underestating when i said that perhaps i was taking this personally and that i should leave MASA for a while. I contribute little at the moment other than a friendly (on occasions) welcome here and there.

so i'll go eat a pound of chocolate for conmfort and look after my skimmer.

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

thanks for your pm sean. i do understand your feelings and thoughts to a large degree. i dont back down from what I have said previously, but then again you arent asking me to :) i'm most likely slipping off for a while....the ice is melting and i need some time with the long rod. perhaps i will be back when i have a new tank and a few questions about setting a skimmer up.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2009
  7. Tony

Tony

I"m pretty new to MASA as have found it refreshing to be part of something where someone isn't always contradicting everything one says, where guys don't tote one way of doing something as gospel and basically opinions are respected. I can post something here and someone wont shoot me down with an UZZI because I dared contradict popular opinion.

There is always bulldust on public forums, people fighting, challenging one another, slamming a persons ideas down, favouritism, "nepotisn" but that's par for the course and part of life. I think that's how our hobby evolved by someone saying that this can be done better and differently.

I have been on another forum for ages now and have been given more respect here than I could ever hope for there. Not that I'm looking for it or nor do I think that I'm the bees knees of aquariums but rather common decency. I cannot speak for the sponsors and moderators and I'm sure there are shenanigans behind the scenes but I am here to learn and help in return.

Just my five cents worth

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

More like 500 cents ;)

Nicely put Tony, and very much how I feel

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Sean - I am so sorry to hear. I am currently on holiday, and before that, I had 2 weeks of the absolutely MOST TERRIBLE working hours in the world. So, if this is / was at ALL meant towards me - please accept my humblest apologies.

I should be online more, from next week onwards. Then I am back at home - and back at work...........

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Sorry to see you go sean.

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hell Sean i am sorry to read this post, but take a bit of time to think about it.
    We have nearly 2000 members of which nearly 600 are active, now when you have that many people in one place you are going to have to accept that a few toes are going to get stepped on and not everybody will be able to get along all of the time.
    Believe it or not being a mod on a forum is really a thankless task, and at the end of the day these guys do a sterling job. They don't get paid but will give up hours and hours a day just to keep the board running. When a member comes onto the board and they have been away for 2 days they can pick up and just carry on with no problem. When a mod has been away for two days and they come back there will be in the region of 500-800 posts that they have to read regardless of whether they are interested in the topic or not a very daunting task if you think about it. A member can choose what to read a mod has to read everything, so with this in mind tempers do tend to Frey at the edges at times and occasionally they blow off steam, believe it or not, they are human. Damn even Viper and myself blow up at each other regularly, its all just pressure.
    Now why do we do it?
    I can honestly say that some of the nicest people i have met is through this hobby and i have made some of the best friends of my adult life because of this hobby and the forums, hell i even miss my telephone calls to Viper. We are a community that can laugh together, cry together and fight when we have a bad day.
    I am hoping that you have just had a bad day and will forgive whatever/whoever has upset you and be back in a couple of days time.

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well said, Alan.

Sean, I too hope that you will stay with MASA, and remain as a Guru. You have lots to contribute, and this hobby would surely lose if you decide to just "walk away".

Hennie

13. lIghty

lIghty

Sean, as some of the guys have mentioned, PLEASE don't give up on us, although "me" as a member doesn't post on everybodies thread doesn't mean we have anything against them, but some of us just don't have as much free time as Scuba to post all day:lol:, but we still take with us the learnings of each thread... and you have been a gr8 teacher to us all.

Please stay with us and help those that need help, as most of us do some time or another....

I you decide not to return, I would like to personally thank you for all you have done to help this hobby!

14. scubaninja

scubaninja

Sorry to hear this sean, its sad to read that someone would be so put off by happenings that they have to totally leave for a while. I do know the feeling though, and i hope noone is doin the same out of my actions. I will be a bit scarce soon aswell for other reasons, but i hope this all comes right for you and you continue to share what knowledge you can with others
    :whistling:

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im really sad to hear this, i think polotics will enevitibly rear their ugly head no matter where you go, dont exclude yourself from something you are passionate about but confront the issue as you have and move on.. i personally dont get alot of time to be on anymore even tough i try and feel quilty and that im not making a positive contribution.. but we all go through that phase then we come back stronger..

Sean you leaving. Its a loss in my opinion. I have watched you grow and earn guru status !! but i must say its never gone to your head and youve always remained one of the guys, a quality i respect..

i hope this can be resolved..

Les

16. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Please tell me what i did?!?!?!?

17. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Day Dreamer Deluxe

I'm pretty new here but the thing I've enjoyed about this forum is that everyone has their own unique opinion on how they do things their own way. All members and opinions, guru or not, should be given equal rights to say whatever whenever, in a respectful way. It's about beautiful display tanks, right? No one needs to leave the forum - just post more pics !

18. Jaak

Jaak

Eish, sorry to see you go Sean...:(

19. irshaad

irshaad

This thread a joke rite??? (coz u guys cant really be serious about all this)

20. keyaam

keyaam

A belated april fools maybe?

21. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Sean,

I'll post this on the open forum rather than as a pm so all the members can see it.

Mate,

I feel responsible for this as it was mainly my idea to add to our guru team to help promote this forum - which i believed then, and still believe now will push our little forum to bigger and better things. You name was one of the first mentioned due to your good naturedness in your replies, patience and supreme DIY expertise as seen by anyone who has seen your tank.

As for the Guru room (and this is why i posted here - so all members can read it) having spent time on another forum as a team member there spending most of my time helping others, and lets face it some folk have difficulty with knives and forks let alone reef keeping, it can be frustrating, so the guru room is a way of letting off steam and bouncing ideas of the other gurus away from the open forum, this is not to be used to run other members down, just to blow off the froth and chill a bit, it can be difficult at times but thems the breaks, that's the job etc, etc

Personally i'd be gutted if you left the guru room or the forum, you have too much to offer all of us lesser mortals, so all i ask is that you think on it a bit, pm me or one of the guys with any particular points you want to make, and we'll see what we can do.

all the best in whatever you decide to do.

Mike.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2009
Recent Posts