I am crazy yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by cybervic, 24 Jan 2008.

1. cybervic

cybervic

Heya everyone. I have this crazy idea of using a windmill to create random surge/current in my tank. Anyone ever did something like this ?

Basically the idea is to have it draw water from the sump and push it back to the main tank. The random part comes with the wind and what could be more random than wind blowing?

Any ideas, drawbacks or possible advantages?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Interesting concept, may need a bit of planning but on the surface it looks like it may work for a closed loop system.

4. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I think that the problem would be that the water direction, while only intermitantly supplied would be the same.

The idea of random flow usually also speaks to changing direction of water flow.

5. cybervic

cybervic Thread Starter

Then split the output of the windmill or run 2 in seperate directions and one with a bigger output than the other.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi CyberVic - It can work - perhaps look at different valves perhaps - perhaps you get a valve that work like a "Creepy Crawly"'s intake valve - BUT just moving from one opening in the pipe to the other - I am sure that SCWD's work like this???

7. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

I am curious as to how you would use a windmill to do this. I understand the concept, but how practical is it?

8. cybervic

cybervic Thread Starter

My whole random idea is based on the fact that the wind will not be blowing 24/7 but at random intervals. I will still have normal wave pump or a CLS in the system.

9. cybervic

cybervic Thread Starter

Not practical as the only source of water movement, but I think it might bring some random flow to the home reef.

You can do this with a normal wave pump with a controller that switches on at random times for random periods.

My intention are to recreate the random currents experienced while diving. Today you can do a nice calm dive and tomorrow the same site is a 20kph drift dive

10. Boomslang

Boomslang

I would rather build a controller than putting up windmills etc... but you will have a one of a kind system... Build it and post us some pics, would love to see something like that.

11. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Cyber, I mean, how would you connect the pump to the windmill etc? Not dissing your idea, just interesting.

12. cybervic

cybervic Thread Starter

Hi, I'd be using "windpomp tegnologie". I'd look to design the same system a windmill use to pull water out of a borehole.

As my topic stated, it is a crazy idea that just might have some merit, but yes the easier way would be a pump, but given Eksdom and the current power situation, I want to save some electricity.

BTW I have it on good faith(hope that is the correct expression) that we will suffer load shedding till 2014

13. millepora

millepora

Unfortunately this wont work for someone living in Port Elizabeth.:whistling:

14. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

True, my tank would be a whirlpool:p

15. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

How about one of those wind powered gennys the boating guys use.Should run those 12v Tunze pumps.

16. cybervic

cybervic Thread Starter

Zookeeper, now that is an idea, and I think I just might know who in Kby can supply me with those at a decent price.

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Wikus - any boating shops around Kimberley (to go boating on the "Big Gat" with :whistling: ) ;-)

Seriously though - that's where you would get a LOT of 12V stuff that could be utilized in this concept of yours... including "12V generators" (wind-powered, etc)..

Recent Posts