Hypo-salinity treatment

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Riaanvw, 25 Jan 2014.

1. Riaanvw

Riaanvw

Hi

I spotted ich on some of my fish about a month ago. I chose to treat it with hypo.

I caught all the fish in the DT and transferred them to a small cube I had. The cube does have some substrate a a few rocks.

I slowly dropped the sg from 1.026 to 1.009 over a period of 9 days. Fish is now at 1.009 for 16 days. They all eat well and I cannot spot any ich spots on them, however 2 of my purple firefish still flash against the substrate. Is this normal for them to do at 9 days in hypo?

Cube parameters:
    ph 8.1
    temp 25C
    sg 1.009
    NO3 15 ppm ( I need to do a water change every 3 days to keep it this level)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

They could still have Brookynella as hyposalinity doesn't kill it. Not even copper. Fresh water formalin bath will kill it. Flashing could be a sign of the disease as it starts off in the gills.
    Read here for more info on Brookynella
    BrooklynellosisArt

Last edited: 25 Jan 2014
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Some whitespot cysts can survive hypo treatment. Although most would have died. The numbers hatching would be greatly reduced. So re-infection is possible while in hypo, but the rate should be low enough for the fish not to be bothered. Some fish might show signs. What is the temperature in the holding tank?

5. Riaanvw

Riaanvw Thread Starter

The temp is: 25.8C

Things is I want to move them back to main tank only if I can be sure that the are completely ich free. I kept the DT fish less to ensure that all the ich in it is dead. I would really like a DT that is completely ich free in the future.

What is your thought on the bucket transfer method while the fish is still in hypo?

Regards From the other Riaan

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nope.
    Normal salinity.
    But does not matter, can do hypo. But as the concept behind the bucket method is targeted at removing the cyst from the environment as they drop off, instead of trying to kill them, you really do not have to be in hypo.

As my display is clean. I just do multiple 20L water changes every second day instead of a bigger water change once a week. So I have enough water to use for the buckets.

7. Riaanvw

Riaanvw Thread Starter

A agree that in general hypo while in and bucket transfer mode is not required, but in my case the fish is already at hypo salinity, so I thought bucket transfer with hypo and then slowly increase the salinity after the bucket transfer while they in the QT.

This will also give me time to properly clean the QT tank while the fish is in bucket transfer mode.

Recent Posts