#@(%!*& hydrometer!!!!

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Mtroboer, 7 Apr 2009.

1. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

My Lps's have not been doing very well after the move almost a month ago and I decided to drop them at the LFS for a while till they recover and to let the cycle finish. So we proceeded to test the salinity with their refractometer to see how long to drip the corals for. I used a regular glass hydrometer with thermometer at home to maintain my water at 1.020, or so I thought! We proceeded to test the water with the shop's refractometer- WHAT A SHOCK!!! My salinity was sitting at a solid 1.031!:swoon: So I got myself a refractometer, thanks to Wikus for helping me out, and is now slowly dropping the salinity with fw waterchanges! I always knew that the cheap hydrometers are not very accurate but never expected a difference of .011!! So out of experience I can only say: STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP HYDROMETERS!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Just look after the refractometer or it will bite you in the a as well.Clean it with ro water after you use it and best to test with ro water before you use it.

4. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Will do so, thanks for the heads up Shaun!

5. Jaak

Jaak

I know what you're talking about Mtroboer. The same thing happened to me and when I finally got a refractometer I was horrified to see my actual reading was 1.029!! I calibrated it a few times in a row just to make sure and the reading was the same!

Last edited: 7 Apr 2009
  6. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

:lol: I also double then triple checked the reading with fresh tankwater just to make sure! The reading on my refractometer was identical to the one from the shop and the scary bit is that it's not even the same brand refractometer than mine!

7. brettb2020

brettb2020

jeez that a huge difference!! mine had a difference if 0.005 with the refractometer in the shop. so i just made a new line where it should be in my hydrometer while i save up for a refractometer.

8. gaz19

gaz19

very important to do this every time you want to test!! when i drop the glass/plastic thing on top of the refractometer it puts it out a little so even the slightest bump can mess up your reading!!

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Apr 2009
Recent Posts