Hydrometer or Refractometer

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by highlander, 11 Jul 2008.

1. highlander

highlander

Hi, I have a resun hydrometer swinging arm thing but I am not sure how reliable this thing is....

Is is that much better to get a refractometer? who can i get from? how much is it usually? any1 selling 2nd hand?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

4. Al

Al

I struggled with a Hydrometer for a month. Not that accurate. Bought a Refractometer today. Mixing and testing water is a breeze and very accurate. I suggest you get one, its never a a waste. Next thing on my list will be a PH Pen once the test kit is finish.

I paid about R480-00

5. Hill

Hill

No contest. Refractometer all the way.

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Good idea, just make sure you keep it calibrated, they seem to go out of whack, quicker than a Refracto or TDS meter.

7. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Refractometer is the easiest and most accurate if properly calibrated, but also not essential as you could always calibrate your hydrometer with a friend that has a refractometer and then use that.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ditto to what Alan said. I have been using a hydrometer for the past 3 years. No problems with salinity BECAUSE of my hydrometer.....

You are MORE than welcome to go refractometer. It is more accurate. BUT not a necessity.

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Defniatley a refractrometer. I previously owned a hydrometer (floating Glass type) which always gave me a measurement of 1.025. Invested in a refractrometer and almost had a heart attack,my true sg was 1.019!
    I calibrate my refractrometer evertime i test me SG.

10. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I know you guys say a refractrometer needs calibrating quite often, but I have done it once and never again, ok test it with ro water but have never needed to calibrate it again. You must clean it with RO water after use, or it may give a false reading.

11. Mekaeel

Yeah basically thats what i do (part of my caliberation theory) ;) only when i find it off then i adjust it.

12. sunburst

sunburst

When i look back its funny, but at the time i nearly had a stress induced stroke. I frequently take my refractometer to work. One day while unloading my bakkie it accidently fell. I opened the case (which is padded with foam) and inspected. No problem; and gave it no further thought. The following Sunday morning; while waiting for my first cup of expresso to brew; i decided to take a SG reading. Now picture this...Mornings for me especially Sunday mornings after Super 14 are slow. Very slow. Like a bear waking after hibbernation. I squeezed the drop onto the lense and then peered through the peeper looking for a source of light. My tongue and finger tips went numb, my lips dry, my chest had its first speed wobble, my temples and my eye sockets flushed with blood. Time stopped. Briefly.... I had a reading of that just above fresh water. The adrenaline slammed into my semi concious brain accelerating it from 0 - 100 in a flash. I clumsily took another reading and ....got the same result. I then carefully wiped the lense and gave the pippette a good squishing making a mental note to focus and not to panick.. Took another reading... the same. Frikkin Flying Battleships.. The lights had'nt come on yet but i could have sworn that my fish were looking green around the gills.
    What the hell now. How do you drain and do a 100% water change. I was now in full panick mode. Ground zero was ringing in my ears. Thank goodness i have another two tanks in the house. Both tanks gave the same readings. It then slowly dawned on me what had happened, and a subsequent RO calibration confirmed

This is a sensitive piece of equipment; that should be treated with care.:)

13. Mekaeel

lol Sean, can imagine what your face looked like at that time.

14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

15. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Had the similar thing that is y I always clean with ro water after using it, and test with RO water if I have not used it for a bit.

Recent Posts