Hydrometer - CPT

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by SaltyCrak, 17 Jun 2010.

1. SaltyCrak

SaltyCrak

Hi Guys

Does anyone know where I can pick up a hydrometer in CPT (more specifically, the stellenbosch or the helderberg area?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

the local LFS should have although they are small, if not i can reccommend one of the sponsors shops or pets paradise in somerset west, however most of the shops in CT do not know anything about marines so dont ask them! they will give you bad bad advice, i learnt that from experience

4. SaltyCrak

SaltyCrak Thread Starter

Thanks, but I've tried pets paradise, that's where I get most of my stuff from. They haven't had any for a while and are not expecting stock anytime soon.
    Don't we have any online stores in SA?

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

O ok, whoops, try pets aquaria, they usually have stock of everything but their prices are a bit high, they get corals and inverts aswell but usually have no idea how to care for them or 'pets and birds haven' a very honest shop. either ones should have hydrometers and they are around the corner from pets paradise. If you have any questions or help need setting up, im here in gordons bay so just gimme a shout

6. SaltyCrak

SaltyCrak Thread Starter

Awesome, I didn't even think about birds haven! I'll give them a try. Thanks.
    I also need to get my hands on a load of snails for my puffers! I've got another tank for breeding snails but it's looking really bleak right now.

7. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

lol cant help u with freshwater snails but birds haven should have some, if not then pets aquaria. also with the hydrometer, make sure its a good one like red sea ect, cheaper ones give insanely incorrect readings, if you can get a friend with a refractometer to test he accuracy.

8. SaltyCrak

SaltyCrak Thread Starter

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.
    The pain with fresh water snails is that they don't seem to last long in a brackish tank.

9. FransSny

FransSny

All those small ones are not really accurate. If you want to use a Hydrometer go to a whine equipment supplier and get a large one. Or get a Refractometer

10. PeterL

PeterL

I needed to get something to keep an eye on my SG and when I bought my hydrometer I had the LFS check the accuracy against their refractometer, I am just very fortunate that my hydrometer is accurate because I have heard from a few people that they are normally out by a long margin. Get your hydrometer checked for accuracy if you do find one, if you have the money, I recommend you rather buy a refractometer, much more reliable

11. SaltyCrak

SaltyCrak Thread Starter

I'm sure hydrometers used for wine making would be pretty accurate, that ms for the tip. I'll stop at agrimark on the way home.
    If I can't get hold of a decent hydrometer, what would a refractometer cost about?

12. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

i dunno bout wine making hydros but refractometers are consierable more expensive, about R550+ but they are 99% accurate

13. FransSny

FransSny

saltycrack , check on www.dorrypets.co.za, make sure when buying one to look for one with ATC , makes it a bit easier.

14. SaltyCrak

SaltyCrak Thread Starter

Thanks frans!

Recent Posts