Hydrated/slaked lime

Reaction score
Hi guys I got 50kg's of this stuff mahala. Can get it from the suppliers @ R30 excl./25kg bag. Would I be able to use it on my reef? Here is a pic:

76048d0b5f5db3f0.jpg

MtroBoer - could you perhaps get a chemical composition of this slaked lime?
I think it SHOULD be safe. BUT it might possibly contain some impurities.

Perhaps you can mix a very small amount up with some RODI water, and send a test-sample to LappiesReef to test for us? If Lappies would be willing to do this test?

Hi Jacques, here's a chemical composition chart I got from the PPC site:

Chemical formula Ca(OH)2 Alternative names / description Slaked lime, Calcium hydroxide, Hydrate
Typical chemical analysis
Typical %
Available calcium as CaO 69,0
Total calcium as CaO 72,0
Total magnesium as MgO 1,2
Manganese as Mn2O3 1,0
Iron as Fe2O3 0,5
Aluminium as Ale2O3 0,3
Silica as SiO2 0,8
Carbon dioxide ( CO2) 1,0
Combined moisture 23,0
Free moisture 0,3

The only thing bothering me a bit is the silica.

Last edited:
Anybody got a chart on the composition of pharm grade slaked lime?

Silica in that amount i dont think too serious, but the aluminium??????

That's really awesome MtroBoer. I don't REALLY think that in the tiny quantities that we add to our tank water, the aliminium and silica would make any difference....

Sea water also contains these as trace elements.......

Thanks Thalion - I know about the effects of TOO much aliminium on our inverts.... very similar to copper....
The important words are: "in elevated levels".....
BUT - actually - my personaly belief is that this still has to be proven!
This article quotes the quantities in which aliminium becomes "toxic", and also the figures for al volumes in NSW.....

If its not food or pharmasuetical grade I will not put it in my tank

What about slaked lime found at Sport shops? The stuff that the body builders use on their hands to lift heavy weights. Is it safe?

I wouldn't risk it, when you consider how much cheaper the BP grade stuff is at your local chemist

Thanks, would then rather say thanks, but no thanks!!:thumbup: The only thing bothering me about the lime you buy at the chemist is the small amount packaged(20g). Would then rather stick to the Aquilibria Aquikalk I currently use.

Thanks, would then rather say thanks, but no thanks!!:thumbup: The only thing bothering me about the lime you buy at the chemist is the small amount packaged(20g). Would then rather stick to the Aquilibria Aquikalk I currently use.

Agree, But I buy 10 x 50g = 1/2kg at a time and costs only R40.00

Something like that....:p:lol::lol:

Agree, But I buy 10 x 50g = 1/2kg at a time and costs only R40.00

Which brand do you use Warr? Would like to see if my chemist could also get it in 50g!

Back
Top Bottom