Human Evolution - Some things to ponder

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by vatso, 10 Jun 2010.

1. vatso

vatso

As long as any hobby / sport / anything has had more then 2 people involved there have always been debates!

What's right & what's wrong & here there is a lot more of it going around!

There are views from the narrow minded camp & the nature people & the people who might not know!

We worry that our fish live in a glass box that is 2 small what worries me is the humans that are crippled mentally.

one thing we all know is that every glass box is different yet we insist that this or that can not be done or achieved! how do we grow & learn more if we don't try? Imagine these people been tasked with going to the moon!!! or even flying take any great thing man has done would they be able to say it would work? the light bulb to hundreds of knock before we have what we have today!

The same "normal" people believe the laws of the world change if it's in the ocean or in a marine tank! the debate about the leaking current is a very classic example of that!

We need to push boundaries & learn & I can assure you that nothing is ever the same in this hobby no matter if the thing looks the same.

I just feel very sorry for the people who are not able to expand their minds past what they think is true!

Last edited: 10 Jun 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maj

maj

vatso is this you venting or is it an extraction from some article?

4. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Hi Maj

It's from me & yes a Vent might be a good way of putting it.

I am trying to get us as a group to just open our minds

5. seank

seank

So Hypnotize us :biggrin:

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

Ah come now vatso. Not this again. Just leave it dude.

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

do whatever works for your circumstances. things come and go, bio balls, , certain lights etc etc algae filters, cheato,caluerpa, dsbs , no dsbs, berlin method. i personally try all sorts of things to see what does or doesnt work for me.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Excellent comment, Glen!

9. maj

maj

ppl are always going to have different opinions on all topics,just absorb what u need from it and move on.Ignore what u dont agree with and walk away

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, no comment on the venting part, but as for the human evolution in the title...

There really is such a thing as evolution - According to the scientists:

Many 10 000's of years ago, Man's forefarthers were called Homo erectus...

Man then evolved into Homo sapiens...

and as anyone with enough experience can confirm, after about 10 years of married life, Man further evolves into Homo domesticus

:biggrin:

Vatso, this argument reminds me of the guy who trained his dog to live without food. He ended up with a nice, clean lawn, with no more droppings, AND he saved a lot of money. Unfortunately, his dog died just as he perfected this :whistling:

Moral of the story, some of us have learned through bitter experience that some things/ways just do not work successfully long-term, and if we sound "narrow minded" it is because we do not want to see fellow hobbyists end up in failure, or worse, have innocent livestock suffer/die because of their "enlightened" thinking...

There is a huge difference between innovative engineering (getting a man on the moon) and being foolhardy (training the dog to not eat...)

JMHO

Hennie

11. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I tend to agree somewhat with Reef Maniac, but sometimes things are different... Take the dude with 4 purple tangs. If you don't try it, you'll never know. Even if someone tells you not to. Sure, you might just have a freak occurence and it works for you, and it might turn horribly wrong, but at least you tried... It's not about being rebellious, I think it's about learning for yourself. It's that old adage of never stick your finger into a plug socket. You're not going to really understand why you shouldn't do it, until you do.

12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

well said! :thumbup:

13. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Thought i would throw in my 2c here ......

we like to throw around words like experiment, hero, advancement of science .... (look at recent threads, those words are there).... What Irritates me about this subject is that we worry so much about achieving the new, the impossible etc that we seem to think we can do this without a propper hypothesis a PROPPER thought process, a scientific method ......

Take the one chap who asked whether a sponge could possibly be used to house bacteria and thus possibly be an alternative to live rock ..... i think this is a wild idea, but it has some merit .... he asked his fellow reefers opinion and now he is going to test it, hopefully document it .... that to me is a well though out experiment and if monitored correctly will be fantastic information, failure or success.....

I am all for the advancement of the hobby ..... but sometimes we are not advancing, sometimes we go sideways or even backwards.

While an open mind is a great thing, we must be careful of having a mind that is too open, for then it becomes a drain which absorbs all the rubbish of this world has to offer .... and there is a lot of rubbish .....

So experiment all you want.... but base those experiments on some sort of scientific theory or hypothesis with some sort of merit, monitor the experiment and then have the balls to report back on the success and the failures .......

Recent Posts