Huge Starfish

Reaction score
I got this yesterday and willing to sell or swop for some corals equal in value as I am not ready for such a big Starfish....Yet.
Anyone interested please pm me

starfish1.jpg

starfish2.jpg

And No, I did not take him out of the ocean. Someone else did(stupidity from his side) and to put him back I have to drive about 30km into the sea to where it came from

Damn, that is one big starfish, need to find someone with a hugh tank or pond.

Damn, that is one big starfish, need to find someone with a hugh tank or pond.

I agree Alan, so please spread the word. Also, I have "googled" but cannot find the Id on this one. It has "round" legs and has "scales" on it

This seems to be a type of linckia species. I bought a Two Oceans marine ID book a short while back, and they describe the linckia as having long slender cylinderical arms (as the one in the pics above).

BUT, Sean, if this came from 30 kilometers in the sea, can we safely presume that this would be a "deep-sea star-fish"? What would such a star eat? I think that my linckia eats "detritus build-up" on the rocks, as well as the algae film that gets created on the rocks. My linckia seems to be light-shy, and only really comes out in the dark (or when only my actinics are on). My linckia is flourishing (seemingly) in my tank, as it has grown about a centimetre and a half since I got it...
So, I don't think this star-fish would do well in a "completely nutrient-less" (read: SPS) tank..... It would most likely starve and die a slow death (especially seeing as it is so big, it would need a LOT of food).

Good idea, Tridan..... But only problem - I don't know whether a public aquarium exists in R/Bay? The closest/best one/idea would be uShaka @ Durbs? That's quite a bit for Sean to travel....

OK Sean - found it:
Picture:
cb_24M1222-01.jpg

Description:

Description:
Linckia Sea Star (Linckia multifora). Also known as Linckia Starfish. Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia

Photographer: © Gary Bell/OceanwideImages.com

URL:
http://www.oceanwideimages.com.au/categories.asp?cID=74
Click on the 1st picture...

No Jacques it is not that one. You will see that the one in your photo grows to about 05 inches. The one I have is about 400mm in length. Definately not the Multifora, but I agree on the Linckia species

that would look very cool in my tank! do you think a ray would eat it though?

Back
Top Bottom