Huge refugium and/or filter

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by seank, 2 Sep 2009.

1. seank

seank

Now for the next question- I am adding a 5000lt Jo Jo tank to the total water volume of my tank, meaning the total water volume will be around 9000lt.
    I Would love to fill it with about 400mm of sand, stick a couple :)whistling:) of rock inside there and add some Plants, chaeto etc.

Question 1)
    What type of plants can I put into the system/jo jo drum to maximise the absorbtion of excessive nutrients.

Question 2)
    How will I go about the flow inside the Jo Jo Tank to be able to get maximum/minimum flow inside the tank for the plants to grow as well as to get detritus "all over" ?

Question 3) The water need to gravity feed back to the display tank, but with water coming into the Jo Jo at the top, and water running out from the top, it means that the water column at the bottom of the Jo Jo tank will not really "rotate" and flow back to the main display.
    Will this be a good thing as; on the one side all detritus will float down and feed all critters, plants, bacteria,as well as live brine shrimp??? Or do I need to "stir" the water with a powerhead 24/7 (I do not really want any pumps inside the Jo Jo tank??

Bare in mind that the tank will have maximum sunlight from the top (it has a perspex lid)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Use playsand :yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude:

4. seank

seank Thread Starter

Yeah, I know uncle, I already have a ****load full of sand:lol:

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry Sean whats the reason for having almost half a meter of sand inside the drum?

6. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

Chaeto is a good start

Try get some movement in the tank for the chaeto to turn or swirl gently.
    This allows for ALL the chaeto to get exposed to light and prevents dead spots from underexposure to light (ie if it grows thick the bottom bits dont get light). You could also just turn it with your hand every day or 2 but its nice to have things automated :). What about an algae scrubber leading into the new refugium? just a thought.

7. viper357

Everybody says Caulerpa is bad, I have to agree from all the reading and warnings that it could cause problems, but I have a lot of Grape and Feather Caulerpa growing in my tank and I regularly grab handfuls and rip it out, sometimes I pull out 3 of 4 full handfuls of the stuff and I'm not being gentle, I literally just grab and rip, it is lit 12 hours a day and it has never gone sexual on me, it has caused no problems whatsoever apart from growing too fast. I also can not recall anyone in SA experiencing caulerpa going sexual, has it happened to anyone?

Mangroves would be another option, they are slow growers and look very nice.

If the water is coming in from the top then why not just run a pipe sort of halfway or threequarters down the tank so that the water enters the tank lower down?
    With a tank that size I think it is inevitable that you are going to have to have a pump or two to push water around there, unless the return pump is one huge bugger that on it's own it can provide sufficient flow then you'll be ok.

I would perhaps look at maybe getting 2 or 3 of those 5000lph sunsun pumps with the magnetic mounts, they will help to move a bit of water lower down.

8. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

Sean how are you going to control the temperature inside the jojo tank?

9. seank

seank Thread Starter

Dean, I would so much love to not have any pumps to the tank- beacuse of maitenance/power failures.

I am running my whole setup with 01 huge return pump- from sump to Jo Jo tank, then it is gravity back to the display, and from the display gravity again down to the sump. I have no other pumps inside the display, nor in the sump (exept for the chiller and Skimmer pumps- and I am working on a way to diperse of them too)

10. seank

seank Thread Starter

I live in Richards Bay dude, cold is not a problem, and for the heat- trickle filters:thumbup:

11. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

:( i can remember long ago i had to were a jacket one morning there. in winter it's not going to stay 25 in the night.

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hmmm, IMO nothing wrong with using a JOJO for extra water volume esp if you could bury it as that would help with the control of temp. I dont think i would try grow any weed in it as i have found that weed has a greater success rate with larger surface areas compared to depth

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i think this is going to be greatly beneficial to your system,
    what about using an airstone to aggetate the water a little? it should cause just enuff current to mix the water without blowing detrius everywhere etc...

also did u get my emails?

14. scubaninja

scubaninja

Sean IMO stick with LR and chaeto, as Dean says caulerpa has a chance of going sexual, and chaeto is fairly good at removing nutrients, its a hectic place for pods to populate aswell. Are you thinking 40cms of sand for the pods of it? going any deeper than 15cm will not help any more in terms of DSB's use as far as i know because its the surface area that counts. For the flow in the drum, you could have that return pump's inlet into the tank on one side on the tank (is it square?) like in the corner somewhere and pointing at the opposite face where it would swirl the chaeto ball for you and give sufficient movement over the sand to do the denitrification, if its a very powerful pump you could just mount the outlet higher in the tank so that it doesnt disturb your sand bed too much. it should be sufficient though

15. viper357

Ok, harvesting the chaeto/caulerpa may be a problem, if the tank is not sealed so that it has air getting into it then I would consider a load of mangroves, they sit on the surface of the water with just the roots submerged, the stem and leaves of the mangrove sit above the water so that they can get light and air.

Yip, just drill a small hole 1cm above or below the water level, this will act as your syphon break. Run the pipe down into the tank and then add either a 45 degree or 90 degree elbow to prevent it blowing down into the sand, this will push the water across the tank and should hopefully provide enough circulation lower down.

16. seank

seank Thread Starter

The Mangroves I know has their roots firmly set in soil- in my case- 1.8m deep, or do they float??

17. seank

seank Thread Starter

Will have to put a camera in there, always wanted to see how plants do it :thumbup: :lol:

Thanks guys for all your comments thus far. Will follow this thread closely for more ideas:)
    Dallas, I did not receive anything

18. Falcon

Falcon

hehe then submit the video to discovery and make millions :lol:

use the caulerpa it doesnt go sexual and nobody in sa has ever had this happen to them i also use it,but as mentioned not enough light may reach the bottom of the tank so maybe make a eggcrate kinda structure that the caulerpra can grow onto maybe half a meter below the water surface and with such a huge tank youll probably only have to harvest every few months.

have the water inlet be lower down say around 1,2m deep with an elbow aiming it towards the middle so that all the water effectively passes through the caulerpra filter and besides the dsb doesnt need too much circulation so that it stays mostly anaerobic for maximum nitrate removal bacteria surface area.

19. Falcon

Falcon

i'm assuming your skimmer will be before this sump right?do you have a recirc skimmer?then not much detritus will get to your dsb to clog it anyway.

20. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i emailed it all before payday, just sent it again now, i figured i never heard anything coz i got it all right :)

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok dont know if this was ever done before : I am bumping my own question!

Recent Posts