Huge problem: dangerous chemical imbalance

Wow, Gareth some high readings there.

Yes, I'm a big Seachem salt user for some years now.

Thing is, my tank needs is always in a huge deficit, meaning that I have more of a shortfall rather than an over supply of elements. Your higher readings will elevate the bigger and more frequent water changes u do.....thats being if your system demand needs are low.

The other caveat, this being a reason I've left the balling method (I'm assuming u doing this?), is that it leaves more risk of an ionic imbalance happening where elements are being dosed in the incorrect ratio, particular those of us mixing up our own brew. Symptoms include high Ca that never comes down. This I experienced on my old system just prior shutting it down.

The only way to avert this (if this is the problem) would be to do some massive and I mean masive water changes to flush what ever has built up that is preventing the Ca from coming down.

I would get a second opion on the test of the Ca though, seems an awfully high Ca reading.

Last edited:
Made 10l of salt water and tested it. Here are the results:

KH: 10
Calcium: 620
Salinity: 1.025

When did you make the 10l of salt? and then test it, tonight!!

Bud in all due respect, your tank has been running along very nicely for a long time. Something must have triggered this testing panic/concern of yours.

Before you go blaming the test kits or salt. test your parameters a little later in the evening when room temp is cooler at about 25c.

This heat plays havoc sometimes.

When did you make the 10l of salt? and then test it, tonight!!

Bud in all due respect, your tank has been running along very nicely for a long time. Something must have triggered this testing panic/concern of yours.

Before you go blaming the test kits or salt. test your parameters a little later in the evening when room temp is cooler at about 25c.

This heat plays havoc sometimes.

I made the water and tested it about 2 hours later. Probably won't give the most accurate results.

I actually never test my water. Maybe once every few months. I usually test the alkalinity every week and that is it. With dosing a balance additive all the other parameters stay in check. They have in the past at least.

The only reason for testing my water is that I was overseas for a month and my girlfriend was looking after the tank. Was just checking if everything was all good.

All my livestock is perfect, never been beter. My tank has no algae and I would personally say that it is the best any of my tanks have ever ran.

The only reason for testing my water is that I was overseas for a month and my girlfriend was looking after the tank. Was just checking if everything was all good.

All my livestock is perfect, never been beter. My tank has no algae and I would personally say that it is the best any of my tanks have ever ran.

So your point is - give the tank to the girlfriend - she looks better after it than you!!!

I made the water and tested it about 2 hours later. Probably won't give the most accurate results.

I actually never test my water. Maybe once every few months. I usually test the alkalinity every week and that is it. With dosing a balance additive all the other parameters stay in check. They have in the past at least.

If everything is good, then why not just leave the tank and let the parameters come down on its own? I dont think any salt brand has Ca of over 500 though. Either the kit is off or the salt is wack

So don't panic..

I must agree here with NJ...We are too quick to panic and then we do desperate things...I also very seldom checked my params till I bought test kits for everything which I never did or had...and suddenly because a test kit shows something out I panicked and almost destroyed the tank the other day a few weeks back due to desperate measures..my ca runs 550 on average sometimes it goes higher..A few months back it was on 660 just before I bought all the test kits I’m sure it ran there for years...for 10 years I never checked water params...my corals showed me when water changes are needed what I mean is if you know your corals; fish and system you quickly notice when something is wrong or out of balance...since I started weekly tests, I am in constant fear when something shows out on a test kit...so I don’t test anymore, and the tank looks good..and now runs like it did before and I ame more relaxed with it and can now enjoy watching it insted of working on it every day...the sps and lps loves the high ca and its good for other inmates as well. Even the ocean’s params change up and down with strong currents and rain..
Just keep doing what you use to with it...or how your girlfriend did it ...

If your tank is new then you will battle with the calcium and magnesium. For about 4 months I battled with TM bio calcium as I was going through tons of alkalinity but little calcium and magnesium.

Also, how are you dosing the stuff? Are you doing this based on your tanks consumption ot the manufacturers instructions?

As far as i know , the salt should be mixed for 24 hours befor using it, so mayby it should be tested after 24 hours befor you test it too.

Ive tested new mixes for ammonia and found high levels - the supplier sais some brands use a form of ammonia to seperate the salt in the "collection prosses " ans after mixing the salt for 24hours , it is innert.

I was told that only seachem salt is made up from raw elements and was never salt water as a scoarse ,so will never release ammonia - what ive been told...

I run my tanks alk at 10 as a norm , calcium at 450 , but ive also been told calcium above 500 isnt nesseseraly harmfull , just not ussable , if that makes sence.
Im sure if my calcium drops from 450 to 400 in 4 days , your high calcium should come down in time, if you have enough coral and good lighting to stimulate growth.

David

If your tank is new then you will battle with the calcium and magnesium. For about 4 months I battled with TM bio calcium as I was going through tons of alkalinity but little calcium and magnesium.

Also, how are you dosing the stuff? Are you doing this based on your tanks consumption ot the manufacturers instructions?

I've been using bio-calcium for 3 years now. Never really had a problem with it. I don't dose according to the manufacturers suggestions, did that once and almost killed my tank.

This is how I dose the product.

1. Measure KH of tank
2. Add 1 Spoon of bio-calcium and then measure 24 hours later.
3. If the kH has dropped then add 1.5 spoons, if it has risen then add 0.5 spoons.
4. Do this until your kH is always constant with the current daily dosage.

Once you get this right I usually never have to change the dose. Just add a spoon or two every day and that is it (until you add more coral or something)

I've been using bio-calcium for 3 years now. Never really had a problem with it. I don't dose according to the manufacturers suggestions, did that once and almost killed my tank.

This is how I dose the product.

1. Measure KH of tank
2. Add 1 Spoon of bio-calcium and then measure 24 hours later.
3. If the kH has dropped then add 1.5 spoons, if it has risen then add 0.5 spoons.
4. Do this until your kH is always constant with the current daily dosage.

Once you get this right I usually never have to change the dose. Just add a spoon or two every day and that is it (until you add more coral or something)

You're on the right track but you have to measure the drop over a five day period where you monitor the drop from start to finish and average the results. You also have to measure at the same time of day for best results. I havent tested my tank in a month or so and your thread gave me a minor heart attack and when testing all the parameters were fine. The other problem as mentioned could be the salt you're using. I doubt it's a faulty batch of bio calcium as I've used it for years with no issues.

Another issue with the Salifert tests are the syringes. A lot of guys pull the syringe back till the liquid is at 1ml and not tip of the syringe plunger. How do you test yours?

I pull it back until the plunger is at the 1ml mark. I did test the test solution last night. It is supposed to have a kH of 6.9 but I got a reading of 10 with the test kits. I'm just gonna go back to elos test kits.

As far as i know , the salt should be mixed for 24 hours befor using it, so mayby it should be tested after 24 hours befor you test it too.

Ive tested new mixes for ammonia and found high levels - the supplier sais some brands use a form of ammonia to seperate the salt in the "collection prosses " ans after mixing the salt for 24hours , it is innert.

I was told that only seachem salt is made up from raw elements and was never salt water as a scoarse ,so will never release ammonia - what ive been told...

I run my tanks alk at 10 as a norm , calcium at 450 , but ive also been told calcium above 500 isnt nesseseraly harmfull , just not ussable , if that makes sence.
Im sure if my calcium drops from 450 to 400 in 4 days , your high calcium should come down in time, if you have enough coral and good lighting to stimulate growth.

David

David the ammonia one finds in newly mixed salt is caused by the magnesium in the salt. You will also find that when increasing magnesium most manufactures recommend increasing slowly. This is mainly due to the increase in ammonia when big quantities are dosed.

When there is this ammonia it consumes O2 and the pH drops which will cause an imbalance in KH , ca & mg. This is why most salt brands recommend mixing and airrating for 24hours befor use. One, to allow the ammonia to gass off and two, for the pH to stabilise and other elements to come into balance.

Last edited:
David the ammonia one finds in newly mixed salt is caused by the magnesium in the salt. You will also find that when increasing magnesium most manufactures recommend increasing slowly. This is mainly due to the increase in ammonia when big quantities are dosed.

When there is this ammonia it consumes O2 and the pH drops which will cause an imbalance in KH , ca & mg. This is why most salt brands recommend mixing and airrating for 24hours befor use. One, to allow the ammonia to gass off and two, for the pH to stabilise and other elements to come into balance.

Wow interesting info! thank uou for posting. i just warmed and circulated my mix for 24 hours to make sure it was mixed and at correct temp. never knew about ammonia!

Hi All,
Now this is not my imagination! Over a period of 1 month my Calcium level has creeped up slowly. It turned at 500. Never before have I had those readings. I have a 500 liter drum outside wherein I store my pre-mixed water. It is permanently aerated and I keep the SG and the temp constant. 25.5degrees and SG of 1.025. I never do a waterchange if the temp and SG is not the same as in my tank. Am on my 4th Seachem drum.
Parameters this morning at 10:00..
Temp 25.5
PH 8.17
KH 8
Calcium 480
Magn 1410

I spoke to my LFS today about these readings! He confirmed that there is a few other clients that also have unacceptable calcium parameters... also using Seachem salt.
Ok!
I mixed a small batch of saltwater now, to check the calcium level of the newly mixed water.
At a temp of 25 and a SG of 1.025 = 480 Calcium
I have used 3 different test kits, API, Tropic Marin and Salifert. Same results!
Am now bypassing my calcium reactor, see if the parameter will come down.

I am experiencing similar problems with Calc creeping up...do 25% water changes once a week..and still my levels remain: Calc - 600, Mag- 1550, Kh - 10, Ph - 8.2...however nothing seems to suffer but it remains a concern.Tagging along

Back
Top Bottom