Huge Aiptasia problem

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by abgg118, 20 Feb 2012.

1. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Hi all,

I know it's not an algae, but it surely is a nuisance. I've got "hundreds" of aiptasia taking over my tank, all over the live rock. I've read that the overall best thing to do is to take care of the nutrient issue that cause them to thrive, which will cause them to starve out.

However, I would also try to get them under control by utilising Peppermint Shrips or a Copperband Butterfly fish - these seem to be the best, practical solutions. If going with the shrimp, I would have to be certain they are lysmata wurdemanni and not "something similar", and if going with the Copperband, it will most probably have to be temporary, just to sort out the aiptasia.

Can anyone help me out with where I could find these pest controllers?

Thanks.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Hi abgg,

Aptiasia (my opinion) has nothing to do with high nutrients. They are a pest and will continue to grow. Peppermint shrimps do work, but is a hit and miss solution. Same with copperband fish.

The best is to start killing them one by one, this is a hard battle and a daily job.
    Try Aptiasia X

4. magman

magman

here is what I recomend for aipitasia, I have never had aipitasia, because when I see the first on a frag I kill it. I don't really aggree with useing anything in the tank, as I am scared if it splits into other small spores, I prefer to kill it one time out the tank.

Start with one rock, note where the aipitasia is on it, and take a small syringe filled with vodka, then put the needle point in the aipitasia if you can, inject it, just a drop will do, then add a drop or two onto the blob it makes, turn the rock upside down, and watch it fall like a blob, do one or two others on the rock, then rinse the rock in old tank water, and sorted.

Just a few points to watch out for, I have found the best way to hold a syringe, is with the plunger in the middle of the palm, go slowly cause you don't want to soak the rock in vodka, if you practice with a few drops first, you can even drop a little drop on an aipitasia in a colony of zoas, just be careful of the syrynge squirting out of control.

I would not recommend doing to much at once, and once you done a rock, make sure none start again on the same rock.

:1:

5. Ares

Ares

Hi Abgg

When i first got my live rock I also had some aiptasia . After doing some research I found out that there are a few ways to deal with them .

What I did and found that worked very well was using normal spirit vinigar (the white one) . I bought a few syrynges used for insulin mainly because they only go up to 0.5 ml so I cant "overdose" my tank with carbon as vinigar is also a carbon source . What i do is take the needle and stick it into the centre of the Aiptasia and inject a few drops . Works well . I started with about 15 - 20 of these guys on my rocks and I'm left with only 1 little bugger which im having difficulty getting cuz he is so small .

Warning though not to do too many at a time as vinigar is a carbon source . My suggestion is use about 2 ml per day . With that you should be able to get about 5 - 6 of these guys per day .

Wishing you good luck .

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Vodka is a carbon source. Do it slowly. start with 1ml per 100L of system volume. after 4 days you can double it. But keep an eye out on your sponges and water parameters. Vodka can also fuel cayno, as its just food for them. Luckily its also food for other bacteria competing with cayno, although in the short term cayno is the stronger strain.

I used Vodka for 2 weeks on the aiptasia I had. It worked. But my seasquirt did not like the change.

Fish like copperbands do not actually eat them up. they nip at them, preventing them from coming out. Take the fish away and 2 weeks later the pest are back. Peppermints do work, but you need at least 4 or 5. I had peppermints in a separate tank so that I could move the rocks to them. Like a cleaning station. That works as the peppermint shrimps do eat the aiptasia completely.

I shut down my peppermint tank, as they take on each other when they moult. They need to get away from each other, else the others will attack the freshly moulted one while its skin is soft. The last 4 survivors I added to my tank. and so far they prevent any more aiptasia from popping out.

So for the infection you got, I would start with chemical, like vinegar.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2012
  7. rakabos

rakabos

Aiptasia has sweet blue bugger all to do with nutrients. Its a coral so it grows in similar conditions to other coral.

I tried peppermints once, didn't work, all that happened was that they chowed my bali polyps. Its a problem 99% of reefers have and will always have. There are chemicals like joe's juice and aiptasia x that kill them, but I can guarantee you that you will never get them all.

But yes start killing them, one by one. Eventually you can get it back under control. Part of my tank maintenance is every two weeks to nuke any new aiptasias.

butcherman likes this.
  8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Mines about once a month, but yes control is key, you will never eradicate them

9. archiecrain

archiecrain

Heavy feeding, especialy baby brine makes causes heavy infestations.....

As a rule I never buy corals that have aptasia on them or the rocks they are on or from tanks with heavy aptasia infestations.....

Its such a pain trying to kill off an infestation, I have a small tank and was lucky to kill them all off with aptasia-x.....now Im not prepared to take the chance of adding more to my tank....

10. s4t

s4t

you can do the syringe thing with hot water as well this works

11. Difficult marine

Difficult marine

Hi Riaanp

Do you have any experience for 2cm peppermint eaten by regal tang or yellow tang?

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Tangs are supposed to be vegetarian. Sure there are not other predators around?

But if something fits in something else's mouth, that is where it will go.

Recent Posts