HS60 Modded

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Mewik, 1 Jan 2012.

1. Mewik

Mewik

Hi all here's some pics of my HS60, that I have butchered to pieces and back :p
    I scrapped the chiller that came with the tank and added a small sump in order to use fans to cool the tank, I also had some idea of running a fuge type of setup and getting most of my filtration done naturally, which seemed to be working pretty damn well I just couldn't stand the pee-pond/algae dump look going on under my tank.....so i pulled it out, turned my sump into one giant holding area and dropped a TS2 and a Reef Octo carbon reactor in there.

I have a tank upgrade on the cards so I figured I may as well get what I need now. Hopefully the skimmer will manage to work on a tank this size, sure I can always make it work one way or another.

I am currently considering moving over to a ULNS system in the next month or two as my sps was not colouring up, but I have noticed now that it is colouring up so I might give it some time to see if it can come right as things are now.

K enough babble heres some specs and pics.

Hardware:
    Boyu HS60 (130l)
    150w Giessmann 14k MH & LED Moonlights
    +-15kg LR
    Vortech MP10 wm
    Sump 35l (+-)
    Reeftek TS2 Skimmer
    ReefOcto Carbon Reactor (Running SeaGel)
    4500l uplift pump (just under 3000l with head height)

Stock:
    2 clowns
    Fairy/flasher wrasse
    Cardinal
    4x Goldies
    Blue Leg Hermit

Green Candy Apple
    Elegance
    Hammer tip
    Frogspawn
    Acros (Blue & Green)
    Finger Leather
    Rics, Red & Blue Shrooms, Zoas, BSP, GSP
    Purple Gorgonian
    Small Galaxia frag
    Xenia (Weeds)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...very nice setup...:)

4. salty dog

salty dog

Nice. What are you upgrading to?

5. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Thanks, Im not 100% sure on the upgrade yet....arent we always upgrading?? :blush:

I'm thinking either a 1200x700x600mm or a 1000x700x600mm, got a light unit with 8 39w t5s so that's my starting point lol. Once I manage to cough out the R300+ per bulb, all in good time.

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

Nice looking tank. following

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

What light unit would that be...I'm also thinking along the lines of planning the Tank size according to the Light Unit...:blush:..:lol:

8. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Its just a bog standard suspendable 8x 39w t5, not sure what the make is. It has 7 tubes in it at the moment, most of which need replacing. So I'm not sure what to do because if I use that light on the new tank I will want to refurb it etc etc, so I might as well just build a new light, then I might as well throw some leds in, 54w t5s...and so the story continues to no end.

So in the end the current light I have will probably land up on some kind of frag tank as it will probably be worth the bit extra to just build a new light, I have some decent leds to add into a t5 unit for moonlights and the end caps, ballasts etc are pretty cheap. May as well aim high lol

9. 2balive

2balive

Wow, nice looking tank, looks like a double dekker tank.

I have the same (basic) tank, did not go for the sump option, have put everything in the back, but would love the exstra water volume the sump gives you. Also would use it as a "second" DT ;)

Can you post some pictures of your plumbing, would like to see how you got the water down and up.

10. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Thanks Len, your tank looks awesome, I must admit i did have a little stalk of ur thread and was pretty damn impressed with ur tank.

I had the tank running with the standard in tank filter up until the end of Oct then I broke it all to bits. I was looking at my tank and its 10 or 15% of the DT area that the filter area was 'wasting'. My initial idea was to use the sump as a fuge/DT and keep some kind of seahorses in it, grow mangroves blah blah. But i found it was a bit hard not having a 2nd tank and limited time with the tank emptied to get everything built and setup before refilling the tank. I think once I do get a new tank it will give me some time to work on the Boyu and set it up with a proper 2nd DT area below. The fuge did work better than I had expected, it was seriously infested with pods so it would be viable to house some critters in there.

Here's some pics of the plumbing, they ain't great. The return is 3 quarter inch split into 2 half inch flexible pipes, just black air pipe. The overflow is a 1inch bulkhead that connects to a pool creepy hose, I have been trying to find a black pipe but it seems pool folks don't buy into black pipe these days. The overflow box I made up at work out of off cuts. I still need to do some neatening up of the pipes but that can wait until I paint the back. A lot of this has been trial and error, the whole process didn't go well at first and I had a few issues with the sump design etc, but now that everything works it would be nice to take it all apart and put it all back together, not sure why I think that way it leads to endless problems :whistling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple of old pics of the tank in the album
    Pictures by mewik420 - Photobucket

11. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Some close up pics....finally decided to read the Canon manual

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

Really enjoying the close up pics . keep em coming.

13. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Some pics of my tank, not sure how but I seem to have forgotten how to use a damn camera :blush:
    They all looked so good on the little viewing screen!! Will try get a proper job done over the weekend.

[​IMG]
    FTS

[​IMG]
    Another FTS

[​IMG]
    Elegance Coral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know why that stupid clam keeps running to that spot? I moved it a million times and it lands up back there....useless creature

14. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Another elegance pic....with my remaining clown in it. The pair of clowns started hosting in the elegance, which was all very cute......until it seemed to turn on the one and eat it??? Not sure what went on there but somehow this guy is still having fun.....for now

[​IMG]

15. 2balive

2balive

Coming along nicely, that elegance is beautifull!

It is amazing how much additional space you have with the back filter area removed.

16. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Yeah the elegance is awesome, its got a really nasty temper though, not the most pleasant thing to have to play around with. I was looking at old pics of it earlier and it has grown so much since I got it, despite being told over and over that it will die, has some flu etc etc.

Removing the filter makes a big diff to the size, I was planning on redoing the scaping as I wasn't to happy with it, but I think ill just let it do its thing and grow into it rather.

I really need to black out the back though, even with some vinyl for now. It will make a big diff to the overall look I reckon.

Also been fighting algae for a while but I seem to have finally got on top of it!!! I try not to let it bug me too much, patience and persistence is the best remedy :)

17. 2balive

2balive

What do you mean with agressive?

Catching fish, stinging other corals, etc?

18. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Yeah pretty much, it ate my cleaner shrimp first, I then started feeding it frozen prawns which is would gobble down. Seemed happy with that for months, then the clowns moved into it once they seemed to finally pair up, they were fine for a month or so then suddenly the one was being eaten when I looked in the tank.

I've been told that the shrimp was dead etc etc but I swear it was 100% healthy 30mins before I saw it in the coral. Same with the clown it always seemed healthy and if it got sick I'd expect the other one to have some issues, but nothing. I suspect it may have something to do with them have a coating of sorts that protects them? And the shrimp I reckon must have been stung between a joint.

19. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

I try keep it well away from other corals, I saw my frogspawn was trying to have a chat with it the other day which seems to not even phase it. A week ago I saw it pick up a stray shroom that seemed to be relocating, it just stuck it into its mouth and that was the end of that.

20. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Pic Update

Figured its time to post some new pics. My tank had an algae outbreak recently due to me forgetting to change the carbon and phos remover.....well I will blame it on that or at least convince myself that is what let it get out of hand. :p

I seem to have killed it off by blacking the tank out for 72hours, scrubbing rocks, upping ph and doing water changes, unfortunately my acro started to STN or RTN a few days later. It has been dipped and fragged to pieces, but I am fairly convinced it wont be making a comeback :( If it does its a bonus I guess, but you cant win them all so life goes on.

Other than that nothing much has changed in my tank other than the scaping due to the removal of algae. All the lps and soft corals are just growing out nicely and hopefully I wont need to do anymore fighting with rockwork etc for a while now and the tank can now settle for a good few months.

[​IMG]
    Right side of tank

[​IMG]
    Right side of tank again

[​IMG]
    My red shrooms that have been abused from day 1 yet still tolerate me....nice shrooms they are :tt2:

[​IMG]
    Left side FTS

[​IMG]
    Front FTS

[​IMG]
    Right FTS

[​IMG]
    Flasher wrasse, kind of flashing

[​IMG]
    Flasher wrasse flashing....this thing ain't easy to catch in a decent pic

[​IMG]
    Clown is still loving his home