Howzit

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have kept tropical fish for a total of about 15 years. I am in my first week of marines. Any advice, suggestions or instructions will be greatly appreciated. After speaking to my 4th 'pet shop' owner I realized that there are a number of "formula's", when it comes to keeping marine fish and corals. Who do I listen to ?

Thanks

Gavin ( Confused )

howzit gavin,welcome, put what you are thinking out for everyone on the site and get their perspectives, cos they cost nothing and then you can make an informed decision based on the feedback on an open forum basis.

Welcome to MASA Gavin. By "first week of marines" what do you mean? ie. what have you got/done so far?

Most of the "formulas" LFS owners give are wrong I'm afraid. Your best bet is to buy a good book and study it as well as read through most of the threads here just to see how things are done, and when you're still confused ask questions and they shall be answered ;)

I think most people are still confused!

Welcome to the forum Gavin.

Yes it can be very confusing when you're just starting out, by joining the forum you have made one good step in that the members here will advise you on the best route to follow, all the tried and tested methods are here and the guys will gladly share their knowledge with you.

If you can, upload some pics for us to see or tell us exactly what equipment you have etc. and the guys will guide you from there. Best of luck with your awesome new hobby :thumbup:

Welcome Gavin!go ahead and ask all your questions man... :)

Hi, welcome to MASA, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, so fire away:)

Whooa Gavin...what have you got yourself into:). Well it depends who you ask. If you ask your better half she will advise that the best part about owning a tank is eventually selling it.killkanga You will hear many opinions. And like religions we like to argue their strengths and weaknesses. Your job is to decide what information to discard and what to use. Welcome to the forum Gavin....look forward to hearing and seeing more.

welcometomasa

masahello

I would suggest doing all your homework on MASA first. Loads of LFS have no idea what is the latest marine husbandry practices and tech.

Good luck, this is going to be a fun ride

Hey Gavin welcome to the dark side, after spending many years on the fresh water side myself i crossed over about 5yrs ago and have never looked back. Plenty of the basics are the same just a few more parameters to keep an eye on esp with corals.

Welcome to MASA Gavin! So glad you found us and joined!

Please have a look at the other "New Member's" threads. Many have been said and asked already. If you don't understand something - please ask.

BIGGEST THING! DON'T BE IN A HURRY! BE PATIENT! ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN FAST IN MARINES! (except getting your life-stock home quickly from the LFS, that is ;-) - as Ocean said)....

Look at the basic requirements what you should be looking at:
= tank (decide on size, whether to buy pre-manufactured, pre-built (by hand), build-it-yourself, have LFS custom build for you, or buy second hand)
= sump (look on MASA for designs - the most simple and the BEST one is where you have an inlet/intake compartment, DSB/refugium/algae scrubber compartment, outlet/return compartment)
= lighting (look at T5 fluorescents, Metal Halides)
= plumbing
= testing kits
= power-heads/pumps (for water flow - the faster the better - MOSTLY - not always)
= temp (heaters), pH, alkalinity, salinity (get hydrometer or refractometer to test), etc, etc...
= skimmer
= phosphate reactor
etc etc etc

i love it when new guys start, you just know they are going to have so much fun:)

welcome gavin, you in safe hands here (except for kangas guns, but you'll get used to those:))

Welcome to massah fellah! ;) Great to have you on board. Make use of the search function as many questions have been posted already! ;)

Back
Top Bottom