Howzit MASA and all members.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Thamdeka, 26 Aug 2008.

1. Thamdeka

Thamdeka

Hi,

I guess 8 years of marine fish keeping put's me outside the newbie category but as we all know you're never too old to learn - you stop learning the day you go 6 feet under. I am doing the emigration thing soon and thought I'd put my tank in the "for sale" forum on MASA but after reading the rules found out it's not that simple. So until I qualify to do so here is a short history of how I got into marine fish keeping.

My brother-in-law introduced me to fresh water fish keeping in 1999 but it did not quite do it for me. I started browsing the web for fish related stuff and discovered marine fish keeping. I normally go ovet the top with my hobbies and straight away did the classic newbie thing and built a 500 litre 2m long tank, put it on an eye level stand and built a cabinet around it. Filled it with fish and totally went to town - spent more than R30 000 on the tank. After 4 years of pleasure and pain - learning as we go along I decided that this huge tank in the dining room was a little too much to handle and downgraded to a 4 foot which was a little more handleable. Last year a friend of mine got interested in marine fish keeping so I sold him my tank and I thought I'd try my hand at a nano reef - seems the opposite of which most fish keepers go. The nano is a real pleasure to have - fast and easy to clean and the Boyu's come with all the bells and whistles except a chiller. Well now it's time for me to move overseas and I have to sell my nano. I am definitely getting a new one as soon as I settle in on the other end.

Chow

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nic3322

nic3322 regal tang

Welcome To Masa

4. crispin

crispin

welcome mate, sorry to hear of reefers leaveing so fast:( but great to know you will carry on over seas....where u going to?

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome and goodbye I guess, or perhaps, see you there on the other side, there's lots of people leaving at the moment, including me. Anyway....show us some pics of your tank/s ;)

6. crispin

crispin

yeah a little hectic,three out of 4 people currently posting on here are immergrating by year end:(

i had a conversation at knife piont that my life is worth R30...all i had in my wallet last tuesday....and that is LESS than a bottle of mineral water in Norway.....made me think a little!

7. viper357

Yip, I'm in the UK at the moment and it's a completely different ball game here, be it 1 o'clock in the morning or 1 o'clock in the afternoon, you feel quite safe walking the streets alone. Oh and you should see our local postman, a cute little blonde chick, I actually took a photo of her :p

8. crispin

crispin

with or without her hat on.....oh hang on "you can keep your hat on" perhaps u should ask her....when do u get back to sa, i would love to meet ya when i am in drbs? :) if you up for the challenge....but weeman handled it ok:)

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Have had similar experiences in Dallas, Camden, London and Hong Kong.

Differences is they speak English :whistling:

10. crispin

crispin

lol thats true, i joked my way through the whole thing in fluent zulu....right down to the fact that I am a farmer, looked like a farmer and thus have no money......mind you had i been near my tank i could have pointed out the $$$ that have been sunk into that watery garden:)

oh and for the record...stay out the strip clubs of dallas camden london and ESP hong kong....you'll have less muggings:)

but yup, time to go to places that actually has postal services.....and they are cute blondes:)

11. viper357

lol, I'll be back next week, the 3rd.

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA :)
    Please post pics of this tank before you break it down.

14. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

lol.
    When i was in Rome,the housekeeping lady scrubbing the toilet in the hotel room was a blonde chick with deep blue eye's. Damn i wanted to marry here then and there.:p

15. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi and welcome to masa :thumbup:

16. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Geez, do we even need to ask you? Come on, show us the blonde.

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Howzit Thamdeka! A very WARM WELCOME to MASA! I really hope that since you joined, you WILL decide to stay at the same time.... not just sell and dissappear!

And - YES please - please post some pics for the okes to drool at while you up your post count, to reach eligibility to advertise to sell....

18. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

19. BigFish

BigFish

Welcome & Good bye (weird to say that)

Seems like half of MASA will b in SA & other half across the ocean somewhere

Recent Posts