Howzit from a newb

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm new to the hobby, just set up my system just under 2 months ago and enjoying it. Hopefully you guys can help me with the effective running of my system:)

Welcome to MASA :)
please tell us more about your system.specs,livestock equipment.....
and most of all,we need pics :)

Ok cool, well, it's a 900long by 30 wide by 40 deep. Running 2 t8 tubes (looking to upgrade a bit soonish), got about 15kg live rock/biorock mix. Unfortunately no sump, as my parents wouldn't let me put one in, although it would've cost me like nothing. So instead, i'm running a aquaclear 50 and two powerheads. I'm thinking about changing the substrate as mine is too coarse. I've had a bit of a filamentis issue and put some cockils in to chow down, they're like flippin lawnmowers. Looking to stay fish only tank as i am a student and have a low budget.

Thanks for the welcome
Pics will come soon

Thanks Storm and all for the welcome, will be asking questions;)

Cockils are sea snails, dunno how else to explain them, when they go into their shells they have a rough white disks to protect themselves.

Thanks Storm and all for the welcome, will be asking questions;)

Cockils are sea snails, dunno how else to explain them, when they go into their shells they have a rough white disks to protect themselves.

Cool, haven't heard of them referred to as that :)

hey welcome to MASA dude. send us a pic or two of your system. it would be great to see. Pitty about not having a sump they add so much to your filtering ability and thus stability of your tank. But lots of ways around that anyway:)

hey welcome to MASA dude. send us a pic or two of your system. it would be great to see. Pitty about not having a sump they add so much to your filtering ability and thus stability of your tank. But lots of ways around that anyway:)

Talking about that Crispin, is your DSB up and running ?

yeah all sorted, one sump side with 10 kg smaller pieces of LR rubble to give pod life habitat and two sections of the display either side with thick DSB sloping down to a shallow bed in centre of reef:)

THis is how it started out

DSC00918.jpg

A few weeks later when i decided to take the UG filter out

DSC00978.jpg

I still want to change the substrate, too coarse, but slow process to do so
Here are my tank mates

DSC01077.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01173.jpg

Notice the filamentis

Hi Lowflyer, i see the hair algae, where do you get your water from? hair algae feeds on impurities in the water like nitrates and especially phosphates, do you run rowaphos?

Back
Top Bottom