Howdy!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Nism0, 20 Jan 2012.

1. Nism0

Nism0

Hi everyone,

Marine newbie here looking to move away from fresh water tanks and lose my hard earned money keeping a small box of a few marine fish alive. :thumbup:

Keeping the tank happy will probably be the easy part. Keeping the wife happy may prove a little bit more intricate. :whistling:

Wish me luck ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome!

tell us more on what you plan to get equipment wise? what type of tank you looking at keeping, mixed reef, fish only etc

4. Jinx

Jinx

Hey welcome to Masa!

5. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks Dallasg,

I am purchasing a tank which is already established. It is a 4ft reef tank with probably with a 3ft dsb sump.

Stocked with some blue/green chromis, a six line wrasse and a percula false clown.
    Some soft corals and a couple of shrimp.

The only thing that has me nervous is the anemone. Its been in the tank for about a year and is looking very good.

Chances are i'll be asking for a lot of advice in the next few months.

Once the tank is moved and settled I was thinking of adding a refugium in the cabinet.
    If i can seperate the dsb and refugium ito flow and light, would this be a viable route in terms of bio filtration or will i be making more hassles for myself?

6. neemow

neemow

Welcome !:)

7. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Welcome to MASA Nismo, when do you plan on moving the tank to your place? In regard to the anemone, can you tell us which species it is? When moving the tank, you may have to save as much of the current tank water and dose with stability or prodibio.

8. dallasg

sounds good, well there is always support here, when you move the tank, i suggest maybe using seachem stability to help with the bacteria etc, its not always ideal to move and tank then add the livestock but we can make it easier if we following some simple guidelines

keep all the liverock submerged in the old tank water when transporting, sealable buckets will help
    add stability as recommended on the bottle for the full 7 days
    try and keep about 30-40% of the old water if possible
    make sure the new water is of the same temp and salinity of the old
    prepare everything before hand so that livestock can be transfered once the tank is re-setup, water temp and salinity are are correct

now on the filtration, adding a refugium with 2-3cm of aragonite gravel will help alot in the reduction of nitrates and phosphates, there is no issue splitting the dsb from the refugium

@Nemos Janitor can also help, he has done plenty tank moves incase i have left something out

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    gMAN likes this.
  9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!
    Id suggest selling the anemone or getting another reefer to hold onto it a while, they really are tricky things to keep.
    You cant move a DSB, once the sand is distubed you basically render it useless. A DSB works by being an anaerobic environment, once you try and scoop out the sand you make it aerobic. If you do want to still have a DSB then id start with brand new sand and seed it with a cup or two of sand from the exsisting DSB.

And percualr clowns are the true clowns, ocelaris clowns are false.

dallasg likes this.
  10. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks peeps,

Learning as much as possible as quickly as possible at the moment.

@459b: I was thinking if possible to move the DSB as it is and not disturb the sand at all if possible. How long will it be able to stay functional without flow or heat? It will be an hours drive to my place.

As for the Anemone, I am not sure which one it is. Its about 15cm across on the disc so its not small. What would something like that sell for on the forum?

@gMAN: Thanks, I have a bottle of Stability ready and will get a bottle of Prodibio.

@dallasg: My plan is to take enough containers to keep almost all the water.
    Keeping the fish in one container with a battery powered air pump and the live rock with corals in another container. All will be in sealed or semi-sealed containers.
    I will have 90 litres of salt water at home to top up anything that gets lost along the way.

The move is taking place on sunday morning. I live in Jukskei Park and the tank is 50km away.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

11. dallasg

anytime!
    you will only need stability, what you can also get is seachme amgaurd or prime, or prodibio ammo-stop to stop the ammonia and prevent a little cycle, they all help

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...I see you're being thrown right into the deep end...:005::005:..good luck...hope the move is smooth sailing...:)

13. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thats the nennie.

[​IMG]

14. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

That looks like a magnifica, not the easiest to keep, maybe get one of the sponsors or a fellow reefer to hold on to it until you're ready for a nennie?

15. 459b

Problem comes when you try pickig up a tank full of sand. If its not properly supported you run the trisk of cracking the tank. What size is the DSB? It will last a while without flow, but heat during transport can become an issue. Even if its only an hours drive you still have to factor in draining the tank, removing plumbing and then connecting everything the other side.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome

17. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

@gMAN: Yeah, google agrees that is probably a Magnifica. Last thing I want to do is kill the little guy so if anyone in JHB north is willing to board it for a while (or buy it), pls let me know.

@459b: Pic of sump to follow. ITO the heat, I can transport the sump in a car if necessary to try and minimise exposure to the sun and wind if it would help keep the temp a but more stable for longer. Once on the other side could i not fit a small pump to keep flow going in the sump while connecting all the main plumbing? Apologies if thats a daft idea; but its what i got at the moment :p

18. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Please note, pics were not taken by me. They were taken by the owner of the tank a while ago.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2012
  19. dallasg

that dsb also has to little sand, need about 12cm depth
    i would transfer as mentioned above and make the adjustments

459b likes this.
  20. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Great, can i just add an extra few centimeters at once or should it be done gradually?

21. 459b

That DSB looks very young. As Dallas said, you can move that while still in the tank. JAsut make sure the bottom is well supported on a piece of wood or something.
    You can add up till at least 12cm and id recommend getting a cup or two of DSB from a fello reefer who has an established DSB.

Recent Posts