How would you set it up? ? ?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by e323, 13 Jan 2011.

1. e323

e323

Hi All

First i would like to say THANKS to everyone on this forum for so much valuable information and helping as much as possible.
    I cant wait to post my tank pictures and show a step by step build of the tank.

I would like to know what would YOU use for a fish only setup. ? ? ?

My idea is listed below: Please feel free to give me any ideas or advice?
    1: Tank is: 150x50x70. i have used euro bracing on the tank and will have 2 Corner Overflows V2 with 2 outlets on each corner. Back glass panel and overflows will be covered with cement to look like rock. I have made a provision for an air stone pipe just in case its needed.
    2: Stand is: 150x50. have space at bottom of stand
    2: Sump: would be as big as possible to fit under stand.
    3: Skimmer: looking at Reef Octopus. and Skimz as big as budget permits
    4: Reef Stream RS 5000 for water flow
    5:[FONT=&quot] Return Pump. Dont know what to use or what size? Any suggestions
    6: Should i use any filter media in sump like: bio balls or ceramic rings etc. or should i use just live rock in the sump? Sump setup recommendations would be appreciated?
    7: Lighting: Would like to use a plain water proof hanging 3 or 4 tube Normal output fixture.
    Any suggestion on lighting or would this be enough.

Now i don't know if i should use any live rock in my tank and if this would require anythings else like special lighting or more water flow. Ideas anyone?
    I will be using 2 return inlets for water flow as well. one at about 15cm from top and another at around 25cm from top.
    I will buy a chiller later on in summer as it get really hot here.
    The plan is to keep local fish from the med. such as few species of bream, cob, Scorpion fish, mullet.etc.

Would really like to hear how you guys would set this up.
    :thumbup:

By the way would die for a ice cold castle lager ! ! !

[/FONT]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

See my answers in red

4. e323

e323 Thread Starter

Thanks Tony for your help.

Stand is 70 high. so hopefully i can get the skimmer in and be able to clean it. Have not decided on which skimmer yet. i am looking at the following models:
    SSS-3000 Intern
    [​IMG]PS-3000 Intern Reef Octopus

[FONT=&quot]SSS-5000INT
    What you think?
    The reef stream will be 2 units. I think this will be enough together with the return jets dont you think? I think eheim are very good so i will probably go with those.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]macro algae for nutrient export[/FONT]. Please explain how i would do this.
    Lighting will be [FONT=&quot]regular fluorescent s normal outputs?
    Rock direct from sea will be used for caves hiding places.
    For the pumps i open safety holes so air can be sucked in and stop the water from flooding. thus not flooding the house. Wife will kill me if that happens.
    Fish are mostly tame and hopefully wont turn an each other. I will not over stock tank anyways.

:thumbup:
    [/FONT]

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Tony pretty much covered everything.. Stand should be atleast 70cm as my skimmer for my tank is 62cm high and its for a similar size tank

6. Tony

Tony

No problem:)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome.

No, bad idea. yes will look like a stripped clean rock for the first couple of weeks. Quickly to be covered in algae and other growth. Extremely difficult to clean the algae and any piece of cement that falls off, will leave a bare patch compared to rest of the back wall. Cement will also affect your PH balance until cured. Rather just use black solid plastic sheet behind the tank.

Airstone equal salt spray on your lights. no airstone needed.

For fish only systems, bio balls and ceramic rings are ok. I would rather have the live rock in the tank. Fish do need place to go to sleep. Cannot do that in an open tank. I would use a sump design with 3 chambers. Skimmer, DSB and return. Plenty of information available, just browse the sticky and other threads under DSB discussions.

3 to 4 tubes, thats ok.
    Notraml output, like in T8, not ok. Well on fish only could be ok. But I would rather go for T5 unit

yes, where else will the fish sleep? Also it provides good filtration.

NO, unless you are sure your siphon breaks are good. Else you will drain the top 25cm of your tank into the sump when the power do go out.

Well, I'm busy with one :tt2:

viper357 likes this.
  8. xtreme

xtreme

Hi

T8's no way, had them on a 150cmLx65cmHx60cmW, algae, algae, algae
    Get T5's

9. inflames

inflames

Welcome top Masa! Do you homework and check with the guys here! Will save you allot of headaches and cash in the future! Look forward to seeing the pics!

10. Falcon

Falcon

Sorry i have to correct you here,lights will not cause algae....high nutrients were probably the cause of your algae issues.I have run tanks on t8 with no algae issues in the past.

Oh and t8's will be fine for a fish only tank,fish don't need lotsa light to live happily use as much as you need for visual pleasure.

11. Tony

Tony

I agree with Falcon. Nutrients cause algae, not lighting

Recent Posts