How to

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Antolo, 24 Aug 2009.

1. Antolo

Antolo

I Have recently bought a tank and will begin starting it up this week. I want to get water from the sea and put it in. Is this alright? How long must I wait till I add my fish?What do I put in each of the compartments of the sump?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Antolo

i dont stay by the coast but yes its fine to use seawater (just make sure you dont collect close to sewers etc.)

Wait at least 6 weeks before adding fish (youl see lots of other creatures). Keep on testing your water for stability.

Sump:
    First - skimmer
    Second - Deep sand bed
    third - return pump

Hope this helps

4. werner5

werner5

i agree with fransSny very good advice :thumbup:

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

NSW (Natural Sea Water) is good, IF you can ensure that the water is pollution free.

You do run a slight risk of introducing pests and parasites which can attack your fish, but the rick is pretty low, IME.

There are two schools of thought regarding how to add/treat the water:

The first (and safest) way is to store the collected water in sealed drums, in the dark, for 4-6 weeks before adding it to the tank. This way, you are sure that everything has died off, and there is no risk of infection or parasites. Filtering the water before this is advisable to remove as much plankton as possible, to prevent them from polluting the water when they die.

The second school of thought is to add the fresh sea water to the tank as soon as possible, preserving whatever plankton and other life-forms there may be. This will help to "seed" your deep sand bed, and might even provide some interesting life forms for your live rock. The plankton also serves as food for whatever other life you might have in the tank, but there is a slight increase of the risk of introducing something bad.

Personally, I have used the second method for about two years when living close to the ocean (some years ago...), and I did not have any problems with disease or parasites...

Hennie

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Is this a fish only tank or is there any live rock in it ?

7. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Yes sea water will be fine must be clean like they said . How many compartments in the sump?

8. Antolo

Antolo Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. Do I need to run my lights and heater during this period before I add my Fish?is there anything that I must put in the tank to create bacteria?

9. FransSny

FransSny

Antolo, you do need to run a heater (otherwise your life will die off), no need to run lights at this stage.

Lots of products you can add (I am personally not a fan as I dont think they do what is said on the label) but by collecting sand from the sea (behind low water mark) and using NSW you will start of with some backteria, critters etc

Recent Posts