How to stop an anemone from moving.

Reaction score
I posted this at SARK as well, but I have a feeling the culprit is more on these forums these days than SARK. But the original statement about the article was made on SARK.

Some one mentioned an article on anemones. With a specific section on how to get them to stay put with out glue. View attachment 61383 The same person said they were going to post the article, but I still have not seen it.

Now I cannot remember who it was but I think it is about time they did so.

Any ideas welcomed as well. I know all the obvious, like good flow, excellent lighting and stable water parameters. What I am looking for is other little tricks. Things like placing the base in a hollow, etc.

I have always wanted a symbiotic relationship with the clowns and anemone in my tank. It is still something I have to succeed with.

Try a Sebae anemone, there is 14 clown species that will host in them.

I have great success in placing the anemone on a high rock with no other rocks around, apparently anemone's do not like to travel downwards too much, they might travel down the rock a bit but when they can't feel any other rocks around they will stop and then just remain on that rock.

I am not sure of the make and model of my nenny but he finds a spot in the gravel he likes and never moves. If they do move generally they need more light (I think).
Anyway you could staple him down.

read somewhere to place the nenny in a pvc pipe !!! i.e cut a sml piece of pvc pipe (pipe size depending on nenny base size) and put base in there.place in low to no flow are , until it attaches itself !!!

Afsal,

I think that mostly applies to Tube nennies, but I might be wrong.

Smithers, I love your signature dude!!

all depends on what type of anemone u like
Heteractis - will wander till it gets the right conditions (ftrong flow andd strong light)
they like perching in the top of a rock, a pinnacle.
Stoichactis - usually settles easily, normally in crevasse or in the substrate.
BTA - like crevasse, good light and some flow.

u get much more species, i just highlighted a few popular ones. of all i would not recommend the heteractis for reef tank because they tend to wander allot. but once settled they would stay in that spot. BTA is easier to place and will stay if u gave it a good hole to settle in. they r more hardy and less demanding and will even multiply if u r lucky.

a to glueing - think this is a hoax. cannot see how this will b done, and even if it could, it will NOT b good or the anemone (there is a REASON it whants to move!) but it will b interesting to read this article.

Back
Top Bottom