How to stick ABS sheeting onto glass

Reaction score
Hi All,
How do I stick ABS sheeting onto my tank?
Are there any proven adhesives other than silicone?
Cheers

Thanks guys,
Is there no other,more permanent method of attaching this to the glass?
Come on guys, lots of you have used this material in your setup's.
Lets hear what you used.
Cheers

I've always used silicone. Why you looking for something else Shane? Don't you like silicone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Tobes,
I dont have a problem with using silicone but Scuba said that he tried silicone on the surf tank and his backing peeled off.
I am looking to avoid that problem, and just interested in what other people used.
Great job on your new tank boet!
Cheers

Hey there buddy - I think that was an imported silicone from Zimbabwe:lol: - Seriously though there's a product I think by Dulux or Plascon - you'll get it in any good Hardware store .... I think its N54 or N64 ... something like that .... But it involves epoxy and some other compound that has to be mixed (comes with it when you buy it) A bit expensive but sticks like ...... Oh And safe to use in a marine tank .... I had a friend that help me build a concrete tank about half the size of sean K's tank and we used this to mount rocks on the inside walls and he worked for like donkey's years for the old Durban Sea World and they had used it with no problems in their tanks.... Will try to get the correct product name for you ....

Thanks. I used the Bostic marine silicone, just clean the sheet and the glass decently with benzine. I battled, and I mean really battled to get mine off.
Scuba probably did half a job or used no name brand silicone from Zimbabwe...lol
Posted via Mobile Device

See we got the same thoughts this morning Chika...lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Guys,
Tobes how much silicone did you use for your sheeting?
Maybe Scuba did not use enough silicone?
Chika, how will the epoxy affect the glass tank, I am thinking that once the tank is re filled and the epoxy has hardened that if the tank should flex, even in the slightest bit the glass might break.
Please see if you can get the correct product name.
Cheers

i used double sided tape and then i put tape over all the edges to avoid salt creep. and my other tank is painted black

Has anyone ever heard about or personally seen someone paint the insidr of their marine tank?
Would it be possible to do this?
I have seen epoxy paints that people have used to paint the inside of their koi ponds and had no ill effects.
Does anyone know what type of paint or how Glynn Forman did his tank inside?
Cheers

For painting purposes I've personally used Durapond by dulux - non toxic to livestock and forms like a rubbery feeling when its dry - I stand to correction but on the product I think I remember seeing they use this at the Two Oceans Aquarium ....

Hi Chika,
Will the paint stick onto the glass and not be removed from the flow etc in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom