How to set up a fw tank

Haha

Using pure RO water in a freshwater tanks sucks because of the ph fluctuations you can get.

Ya, that is a problem, hence the water changes and tests every week. It helps me keep it stable. Keeping any animal takes up your time though, so I don't mind, but some people might, so at the end of the day, this is really just a help/guide, and no one has to follow it.

There is definitely more than one way to keep fish. Instead of pointing fingers and critising, let's rather discuss the different ways and exchange ideas.
I went straight from no tank to marine, so I'd enjoy seeing a thread on the basics of starting a tropical tank

Thank you

There is definitely more than one way to keep fish. Instead of pointing fingers and critising, let's rather discuss the different ways and exchange ideas.
I went straight from no tank to marine, so I'd enjoy seeing a thread on the basics of starting a tropical tank

Thank you, a thread would actually be pretty boring if everyone had the same idea, and I would love to see what people say and think. The RO topic is actually quite interesting. I always used RO water, so I don't actually know much about tap water. It will be interesting to see what people say about the differences now.

Hi

How long have you had the oscar for?
Do you have any pics if your tank?

Yep, here is a pic...

picture.php

I haven't had the Oscar very long, maybe four weeks give or take. I am growing him out for a friend of mine who wanted him in his 550l tank. Wish I could keep him though, he's grown attached, and I have too.

The Oscar is on the left of the leftmost tree, sort of more to the bottom.

Last edited:
Just be careful when that Oscar gets bigger and he can fit other fish in its mouth they going to become dinner. I used to have Oscars but they woes. As they get older and bigger they eat everything. At one stage I even had Oscars that turned on their own species.

Haha

Just be careful when that Oscar gets bigger and he can fit other fish in its mouth they going to become dinner. I used to have Oscars but they woes. As they get older and bigger they eat everything. At one stage I even had Oscars that turned on their own species.

Don't worry, he will be gone long before then, he only needs to get to 5 cm before he has his move, so he can live with my friends other two oscars. (At this stage, they should be fine together) I haven't done much research on them before though, as I prefer smaller fish, anything 4cm and smaller. Anyway, My tank would be way too small for this dude even at 5cm. I almost considered getting a 350l and buying him from my friend and keeping him alone in there, but decided against it, I need the money to feed the rats, snakes, horses, cats and dogs. :lol:

There are so many different ways to do things.

Take marines for example and just look at the different methods of filtration.

The thread title is " How to set up a fw tank "
As far as I'm concerned, you covered that rather well in a short format. Other guys writes a whole chapter in a book on just this topic.

On your fishlist, or overstocking, my only concern is Eskom and prolonged power outages. Taking into account as the fish grow the oxygen used increase. Battery driven airpumps at least.

My interesting story about overstocking.

Previous house I had a 3000L koi dam. 1m deep, water at about 900mm. Sides straight down.
Surface area was about 3m square.

Added 6 koi. Never see them, always at the bottom. Hiding away. All of them between 15 and 20cm, so not babies. Somebody broke down their system and I had the change to take over another 8 koi of similar size.

The result, they all swim together, even at the surface. Out and about and as far as I'm concerned, a lot more relaxed. Judging by their behavior.

My own conclusion. The change of a particular fish to be caught by birds are less. Safety in numbers.

Haha, Riaan, we have been lucky to be in an area that we don't get any power outages. Haven't figured out exactly why yet.
How would one deal with the outages though?
Maybe a UPS for the filter and air stones?

My fiancé reccommends using oxygen tablets as well, as he used to get power cuts in his previous house, and he says they work very well.

battery driven airpump. That is if you are at home. they are cheap, and the batteries last rather long.

Complete ease of mind, you need a UPS and your airpump connected on it at least.

Where would one find a battery driven airpump? o_O
It sounds like my electricity bill will go down substantially, considering the amount of air pumps I run.
Seems like a good idea.

Pet stops, Dorry Pets had. Running with two D cell batteries.

Rather upgrade your airpumps, into one big effective unit to drive all your freshwater setups.

there's a nice AC/DC air pump available...
i have seen on the latest list , but not got in yet , all those suppliers mentioned above should be able to get them , if not stocking them already.
D

Runs on mains power and charges the built in battery .
once the power shuts off it switches over to battery and when power goes on again , it will charge battery.... seems like the best option

Back
Top Bottom