How to report/thank a post.

Discussion in 'Forum Usage' started by butcherman, 8 Jul 2013.

1. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

In-case you are wondering what the little icons under a users name is here is a little guide.
    [​IMG]

The first icon only shows you if a user is online.

The second icon is the Thanks button. Use this button if a member gives you some good information. It will add to the persons reputation you are thanking.

The third icon is the Report button. Use this button to immediately alert a mod if you think that a members post is Insulting, Personal attack or against the rules of the forum.

GTH, Bendor and Markc like this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Peeps are scared of that thank button, even the agree button is lost sometimes. I use them often.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That Agree button is to acknowledge a person marine knowledge. It is not a Facebook like button, where you can like some joke.

Using a members rep points and his agree received, could give a newbie an idea of the knowledge a person have.

If somebody say "nice picture", do not "agree" to that. Rather give the original poster the credit. No point in putting an "agree" to somebody asking "for an update"

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Yes, that being said, I look at your agree's given button, it seems to point that you think most of us know nothing? :D :whistling:

GTH likes this.
  6. Jayceew

Jayceew

That being said, I also sometimes get the idea that some of the guys are just stroking each other's ego's by handing out rep points for what really is mediocre comments/"advice" by the self proclaimed experts.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I am an expert.

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

This will always be a contentious issue. I agree that agrees are often thrown around way too often but then who can decide what is mediocre advice? if you think have valuable even the most basic advice is to a beginner, why cant they be given thanks.

9. Jayceew

Jayceew

Agreed, but that's why I said "advice" as many of the comments made is definately not advice but still agrees are given.

10. Reefhead

Reefhead

I always thought the agree button was more like a facebook "like" button, didn't add rep was just there to literally agree with a comment
    Then I thought the Thanks button was there to add rep and was used more to thank someone for valuable knowledge, which is also relative valuable knowledge to me might not be valuable to someone else, etc.

Is this not why the agree button was put in place? to distinguish between the two?

11. 459b

Agree adds some rep, but not as much as thanks. It was added to stop threadds being filled with " I agree" or " What he said " comments. That and the thanks button gets forgotten about.

12. Reefhead

Reefhead

So technically it is like the facebook "like" button
    why not just take the rep points part of it away because as mentioned above by someone else most of the time its just used by people who want to stroke their friends ego

13. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

In my humble opinion I'll just simplify...and make the "agree" and "thanks" button ONE and the same and then take the "other" button and just do a Facebook "like" button...as I've been on MASA for over 2yrs and some/most Members still don't know the difference between "agree" and "thanks"..including myself sometimes..so just make one that adds rep and the other one none..:blush:

14. 459b

Agree button - you think the advice given is the same as what you would have said
    Thanks - someone gave really good advice/help on your own questions. This advice/help was excellent and really provided invaluable information.

Will have to chat to @viper357 about removing the rep given by the Agree button

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. butcherman

butcherman Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

@viper357 has disabled the rep that was added with Agree's a while back. So yes the agree button should be used when you would post similar advice.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. mandarinman

mandarinman

There was a time where guys agreed with everything their buddies said and their rep climbed through the roof! But for what?

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It's quite simple really.

If you ask a question and someone helps you then click the "thanks" button to say Thank You.

If you're browsing the forum and you see someone else has given good and correct advice then click the "I Agree" button to show others that the advice given is indeed good advice.

It's not that difficult is it?

18. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

nope but lets moan about it for 10 more pages.....

lets focus on reefing

19. mandarinman

mandarinman

I think there should also be a button to rate tank with tanks being evaluated on a monthly basis to build up rating.or remove rating if tank looks bad

20. mandarinman

mandarinman

The reason being there are some stunning tanks with guys working really hard to look after tanks and keep them in tip top shape.

21. 459b

Thats getting a bit complicated now. Who will you be giving rep too, the tank owner or the maintenance company?

Recent Posts