HOW TO REMOVE Aiptasia FROM MY TANK

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandrin, 19 Mar 2012.

1. mandrin

mandrin

Hey Guys , any one know how i can remove Aiptasia from my marine tank , its growin on my star polpys , and they not openin up ,got a few in tank want to know any suggestions .... did some work , one write up says disolve calcuim in warm :( water , then use squirt it wit that solution and it works , any one tried this with luck thanks guys :whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

there are a number of ways and its fairly easy to do. but i have a feeling you havent researched this on your own yet (which you realy should do) as you will find a mass of info and threads on masa and other forums about what to inject into them. Personally i use a concerntrated kalkwasse sollution, but many people say that Aptasia X is a very good product.

there are also a number of threads on making a voltage zapper to fry them in tank, have a google search for aptasia zapper on masa, easy to DIY and works well apparently, although ive never tried it.

there are also a number of videos on injecting aptasia on masa, and lots on you tube. Just research a little harder :)

4. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

HI Mandrin

We in the same boat, We have a lot of Aiptasia in the office tank as well, will be tagging on this one. Used Aiptasia-X only made them white but they still popping out everywhere, now we are looking to get a copperband in they eat the Aiptasia.

good luck

5. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

thanks guys ,,,i read that the peppermint shrimp does the job ..but i dont have one yet.....gona try the calcuim thing later ...hope iot works

6. crispin

crispin

predatory control against Aptasia is very hit and miss and is a short term tempory solution to a long term problem. Again read up on CBB for aptasia control, or peppermint shrimps for that matter as there is LOTS of info on it.

many CBB dont eat aptasia, dont recognize the food sources we feed and often starve to death. Ive read thats its almost 2/3 of all CBB dont make it past a year, so hardly a sustainable control. those that do eat the aptasia dont KILL it, simply keep them nibbled and retracted in the holes. Once you loose that fish you get a massive aptasia explosion.

seriously think twice and three times before trying predatory control for aptasia and then think again about that Copper band butterfly fish.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  7. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

I heard peppermint shrimp work but you will need at least 4 or 5 to do the job depending on the size of the tank. will you let us know if the Calcium works, might even try it myself

8. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

will do blackghostknife ............wull get 2 peppermint shrimps ..... from sri lanka

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

Been injecting aiptasia with kalk solution. Works well on the big ones but its not so easy to inject the small ones

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

just ice em shut with kalkwasser paste. i ice em shut with aptasia x. just rrmemver aptasia removal is a process not a once off. every day take five minutes to ice the ones you can see or get to and do it every day till you dont have any more. always expect one to appear after u think you have killed them all. just keep on going! ps dont feed brine shrimp if you want to reduce aptasia.

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

minimum of three

12. Wes

Wes

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  13. duanead

duanead

I just used kalkwasser mixed in water and squirted it over the aptasia and boom gone it was

14. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

Red Sea has a product for removing Aiptasia, its called Red Sea Aiptasia-X

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

and it works really well!

16. noproblem

noproblem

I used 4 peppermint shrimps in my tank, it was the only thing that worked. It took them about 4 weeks ad it was clear and has been for a year. Got them from Sams at R69 on special.

17. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

hi quys i tried. the boilin.water and.calcuim.injectin.last nite
    ir.did.not.work.....bad luck well now.dont know wat to try

18. rakabos

rakabos

I started with Aiptasia X, raved about it, turned out to be pretty useless, the anemones came back in force, same spot.

Then last week i tried Joe's juice, thinking what the heck lets try it. That stuff has REAL staying power. I had a few monsters, R2 coin sized ones. A week later the rock is bare where i tested with it. So that is what i would recommend.

The last peppermint shrimps i tried, munched my bali polyps and never touched the aiptasia

19. mytank

mytank

Great and I just bought a new batch of ApX sigh.

I noticed something with the appX though if you use a real needle which you can buy at a Dischem, get the needle into the Appy and then squirt the liquid, they def die.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  20. mandarinman

mandarinman

funny that your aptasia x didnt work. mine worked well. id just ice the aptasia shut. it never returned

21. rakabos

rakabos

Maybe i had a bad batch, who knows

Recent Posts