How to qt snails

RiaanP

Reaction score
Unless you prep your QT long before hand there is no real method.

Need to get algae growth in the QT. And that is not as easy as getting it to grow in your display.

Reaction score
might sound a bit silly but i was actually thinking of putting them through Bucket transfer. Just change them into a new batch of water every day or two. And then by day 10 or so just add them to tank. They should be good without food for that long? or am i pushing it?

Ive read on other forums people scrub their shells and just add them direct to tank. But im thinking it just take one ich cyst you miss and your tank gets infested?

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
biggest problem is that they would take a much slower refill rate than with fish. If you add the water very very slowly you should be ok.

Plus bucket transfer is not really going to work. You want to target the dormant stage, which can be lot longer than 3 days. WS is on the host 3 to 7 days, and that forms the basic concept for the bucket transfer.

If you keep the snails in a secondary holding system for 6 weeks then you should be all OK. Preferably a system with algae growth on the glass.

Reaction score
so what do guys generally do when buying snails? They just chuck them in their tanks and hope for the best?

RiaanP

Reaction score
I do not buy snails...
I collect :m41:

And yeah, acclimatize them as normal. Then into the tank.

Top Bottom