How to know when normal is not normal?

Gesiggie

Challenge accepted
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have had these two true percs for a couple of months now. They were behaving normally up until about a month ago. Modo (the smaller one, presumably the male), started swimming up- side- down.

He only does this at the front of the tank just below the surface (where he spends most of his time). When he swims around the tank, he swims like all normal things do - right-side up. He will occasionally skim along the surface on his side, doing several laps, then returning to up-side-down position, to front of tank.

I was just wondering what could possibly be affecting him for doing this?

Any ideas?

In pic, note that Quasi (female) is quite "normal"...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368703546.365235.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368703546.365235.jpg

something to do with fertilization of the eggs..?

Could be a possibility, but it is the male?
Maybe he likes to get his tummy tickled by the water surface movement...

i think hes trying to impress the shrimp over there:lol:. it could be that he has a bit of an issue with his balance. but i dont think it is sick or something

Being close to the surface with no rock work and possibly seeing a reflection, he might be forgetting which way is up.
What does he do if you chase it down?

it could be that he has a bit of an issue with his balance

I am not too sure aout the balance, he is quite capable of behaving normal when not in that spot.

What does he do if you chase it down?
He will just turn right-side up, and swim away. Going to the back grid of the overflow which is his second favorite spot in the tank.

Hi, when you scuba dive you see this behavior a lot when diving under and through tunnels a lot of the fish enter right side up and as soon as they are in the "tunnel" the flip upside down. I have been i a school of 50 goldies that were all upside down i scared them when i entered and on exiting they just flipped right way up.
I have asked loads of divers what they thing triggers this and no one has given me a proved scientific answer.
But some say they feel safe with their soft side "tummies" facing down to the ground and when the enter a rock roof the flip to protect their tummies.
Some say that orientation is messed around with as they use light to determine up and down so when they enter the roof is darker and the assume its the down side and flip over.

The shadow of the hood may be the cause of his behavior or Modo could just be a spaz :lol:

i agree with @JamesHunter , there is no real center of gravity issues in water...
fish will use anything as a point of reference, see this pic where the goldies use the top of the arch as bottom. when they swam closer to the sea bed they swam the "right" way up, top right of pic

IMG_0880.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At bedtime, whe goes to the grid over the return, where he sleeps with Quasi, and he sometimes sleep right way up, and sometimes he looks as if he is doing a head stand, (but he does not stay in head stand position for long periods. Maybe 5 mins max.)

And when swimming around in the tank, exploring the rockwork, he does swim normal.

It is only when he comes to the front of the tank, at the surface, that he roll over. He will stay right side up if it is feeding time, or something bugged him (me, mostly :) ) but will remain right side up only long enough until he decides it is safe to roll over again...

Really funny to watch him...

@dallasg, @JamesHunter, Thank you, I will then just take it that my clown is trying to adapt to his mother, doing quirky things (that seems to be normal) to make me feel I am not alone... :p

Ha Ha...I love it..!!! Could you PLEASE take a short video clip...:) It sounds so funny and sure to make anyone's day...I've never seen a Fish swim "up-side-down"..:p

Ha Ha...I love it..!!! Could you PLEASE take a short video clip...:) It sounds so funny and sure to make anyone's day...I've never seen a Fish swim "up-side-down"..:p
u should take up diving.. there's numerous places to see them upside down.. goldies are most famous for it... arriana's arch and anton's in sodwana are prime examples.. i used to waste a whole spool of film (showing my pre-digital age) just on them.. well, them n the frog fish!

i agree with @JamesHunter , there is no real center of gravity issues in water...
fish will use anything as a point of reference, see this pic where the goldies use the top of the arch as bottom. when they swam closer to the sea bed they swam the "right" way up, top right of pic

nice ray!!

u should take up diving..
...:blush:..:blush:...I watched to many JAWS Movies growing up...:p..hence I don't swim and you wouldn't catch me dead in the Sea..:blush:

I was scared to start diving but statistically you have more chance of being killed by being hit on the head by a coconut while riding a bike than being killed by a shark while diving.

Sharks have been in the ocean for 65 million years human 65 years, we scare the poop out of them when they see us

I was scared to start diving but statistically you have more chance of being killed by being hit on the head by a coconut while riding a bike than being killed by a shark while diving.

Sharks have been in the ocean for 65 million years human 65 years, we scare the poop out of them when they see us
..yeah..I know you'r right...guess my "wording" wasn't quite accurate..:blush:..it's more the WATER than the Sharks...I have a thing about being "under" water and/or "in" water..:blush:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom