How to kick start the nitrogen cycle

Reaction score
Hi All

do you guys know of a fast way to kick start the nitrogen cycle in a marine tank?

Last edited:
Normally you just add your rock and add an ammonia source. Could be dead shrimp, dead fish or fish food.

Then wait a day or two and add bacteria in a bottle. Such as Seachem stability or special blend

Are you using live rock? If so, I would just add the rock (maybe a few flakes of food every other day) and start with seachem stability/aquavitro seed as @TaahirS suggested...

Make sure that you stock the tank very slowly...

Also, read through the links in @TaahirS's signature...

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres no need to add food source if you use something like stability. Stability can be added from day one.

You do need to add a food source so that nitrifying bacteria can multiply.

The strain of bacteria in the 'bacteria in a bottle' is not exactly the same as the ones we need.

Maybe @Jason can elaborate

i normally get a pair of damsels. they are hardy and can tolerate any water conditions. later you can sump them or just feed them to a mantis shrimp

Last edited:
You do need to add a food source so that nitrifying bacteria can multiply.

The strain of bacteria in the 'bacteria in a bottle' is not exactly the same as the ones we need.

Maybe @Jason can elaborate

of coarse it is the same as the ones we need. that's why its bottled for marine aquarium use?

All my tanks ive ever setup is running smoothly by just adding stability. Ive never added a food source.

you can also just throw in a bottle of bacteria and then feed the bacteria with a carbon source like vinegar. 2-7 days later you can add your first fish. just turn of uv and skimmer during that time.

Last edited:
Let nature take its course :)

i normally get a pair of damsels. they are hardy and can tolerate any water conditions. later you can sump them or just feed them to a mantis shrimp
shame, for this reason we never ever ordered in damsels, not every reefer has a mantis shrimp looking for food, what then, toilet pot ?

Last edited:
From what Jason told me and a bit of research. It seems like there is a product in the states called Dr Tims one and only. This is the strain of bacteria that is found on the reefs. One thread indicates that some of the other brands use strains that are actually meant for sewerage plants.

I'll do some more research and start a new thread?

ther brands use strains that are actually meant for sewerage plants

Thats no secret, a few water cleaning products have been borrowed from water treatment plants. If it can clean industrial scale waste water, im sure it will work in our tanks.

Back
Top Bottom