How to get your "yellow" water clear Ozone

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by vatso, 16 Jun 2010.

1. vatso

vatso

Hi all

just a quick share of the success I have had with getting my water clear.

2 days ago I purchase an Ozone unit from some advise I got from Riaanp at first & confirmation from my fav LFS "Mates"

I have been running it now for 2 days & my water is clear clear!!

I was running carbon & PuriGen & the water was still a yellow - I think the best way to work these things "Carbon" is through a reactor which is the same price as a Ozone Unit.

Vatso

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

Granted it does work but dude be very carefull as if its not controlled properly you will loose everything at the cost of clear water, ozone can eat the flesh off your fish and in extreem missuse cases it has been reported to have been responsilbe for may cases of severe health implications to humas and even deaths, IMO the only way to you ozone properly is through the correct control system which continuesly monitors the ozone levels in the system. That said there are somevery diligent users out there who have been ableto self medicate ozone with good results but its a hit and miss and the only way to learn is from the misses or someone elses misses

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

Before that when did you change your carbon? How wet were you skimming?
    i run my carbon through a sock that catches flow from the skimmer outlet. My water is crystal clear:whistling:

wierd huh?

5. Trev

Trev

Also BTW yellowish water can also be the result of carbon dosing did you first rule that possibility out?

6. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

I did not just plug in & away I go ;) - The university of google has helped we through this process as well as some of the Guru reefers.

Just wanted to share with the guys

PS: I don't carbon dose! I use activated carbon to polish my water.

I don't run my ozone 24 hrs a day was well it's only 250 mg/h unit.

7. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

The GF has just read the thread now we need carbon filters & test kits!!!

this was my arsenic / early retirement fund!!!

Now it's all gone to pot!!

8. Trev

Trev

Great stuff man atleast you know whats what, Oh I see i presumed it was carbon as in a dop .

So share more as inn how long did it take to see the change and what timeperiod are you running and how are you controling the input ?

9. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Hi Trev

I am running it on a timer which runs for 5 hours from 10AM - 3PM & then from 10 PM - 3 AM. I have a unit that has a dial which controls the flow of air - which I have connected into the air intake pipe of my Skimmer.

It took 2 days to clear the water up. I now might only run it when it's needed or only 5 hours a day. there are some great articles on reef central regarding ozone

10. Trev

Trev

And here is an interesting question which seems to differ from user to user, does it make your skimmer skim more or less ?

11. schaun

schaun

I love these subjects.
    Anything to make your reef looking better and healthier.
    I am all for running ozone i have read up allot and have run it before.
    Ozone works by killing off bacteria like the ones that tints the water yellow.
    It is much more effective than a UV light because it is direct and if use with your skimmer reaches more water than UV ever could.

Ozone also has allot of other benefits but i can not remember them.

The downside is that it is highly corrosive and if your skimmer material is not made to withstand ozone it will perish over time.
    And then there is the harm it can cause to your livestock if not properly controlled.

What the big guys say we should do :
    Take and old small skimmer to run it through, so if it goes it is not your main skimmer and can easily be replaced.
    At the skimmer outlet ,have some activated carbon to remove the harmful effect of the ozone.
    Use it in conjunction with a Redox probe and controller, not sure what the levels should be.

But as i said i am all for Ozone it works grate, we must just take the proper precautions.

Running it for a a short period of time a day is a good idea, just remember to check the Redox.
    And make sure that the skimmer material can handle the Ozone.

12. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

Iv never had a problem with yellow water,

13. Trev

Trev

I think this is called bragging :p

14. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

I am running it through a TS4 Skimmer the 3 pump one. does anyone know if it will be okay?

15. schaun

schaun

Sometimes you don't realize that your water color has gone yellow because it did so over time.
    I also did not realize it ,only when i sow the difference in water clarity did i notice it.

16. schaun

schaun

Not sure if reef octopus caters for ozone.
    But i don't think so.
    I also have no idea how long it takes to corrode from Ozone.
    For all that we know it might take years.
    But with equipment so expensive, I'm not willing to take the Chance.

17. amalick

amalick

Im going to try and keep this simple to aviod an essay. I have Ozone running on my system controled via and ORP controller circulating through an old berlin classic skimmer. I have activated carbon in the cup on top of my skimmer but nothing on the water outlet. MY ENGINE ROOM WHERE ALL OF THIS HAPPENS IS FAR AWAY FROM MY TANK.

Now the big question. I sometimes sleep in the room that the rear of my tank is housed in. For those of you that know my setup this will make sense.

I find that I wake up with my mouth dry, short of breath and my chest AND NOSE feels funny, dont laugh this is serious.

CAN OZONE ESCAPE INTO THE AIR VIA NORMAL TANK EVAPORATION ONCE IT IS IN THE WATER ? AND IF SO COULD THIS EXPLAIN THE SYMPTOMS OR AM I JUST BEING PARANOID ?

18. Trev

Trev

Do you only sleep in this room when your in kak LOL

Seriously though Amalick your are 100% suffering from ozone exposure and buddy the bad thing I have to tell you is that respiratery issue arising from ozone poisoning is often the most accute symptom of ozone exposure and will only manifest if exposed to the toxins for an extended period ie a few hours and or leathal or closed to leathal amounts. Dude you you ever have sight or eye problems the following day. Dude you need to be carefull, so many people die from poorly ventelated coal fires and the killer is ozone its deadly

Trev

19. Trev

Trev

I think the skimmer Vatso is using is a Reeftek

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Vatso, glad you took my advise. But please you run it too long. 30 minutes to max 1hour is enough.

BUT THAT DEPENDS ON YOUR GOAL
    So before anybody jumps on me.

There are 2 reasons to run Ozone. With different result sets.

First you can run it permanently with ORP controllers (like Amalick) To get the Redox up and to keep it there. That will be to kill bacteria, clear the water and keep the oxidation carrying capability of your water higher.

Then, you can use ozone for 30-60minutes, with the only purpose to clear the water. That is it. BUT the plus point is that it removes Dissolved organic compound (the yellow stuff). And the plus from that is that your water allows better light penetration, so T5's can do the same as 150MH (ok, that also depends). And on deeper tanks, that is wonderfull.

WARNING
    Ozone is the most corrosive agent out there. It will rust everything in record time. And it is hazardouz to your health. O3 is extremely unstable, and will break down and join any other compound. It will combine with other metals, therefor it is best to run it into your skimmer. Interesting, I did not notice any different in skim rate, but then it is on my new tank, new skimmer, everything maturing. I added the O3 one month after starting this tank.

BUT, check your skimmer. Not all can handle O3, and the plastic body will become brittle and cracks.

And you should run the air escaping the skimmer AND the water coming out over carbon, to bind any unused O3. Or you can do what I do, run the O3 when nobody is around the tank or house. Mine runs from 6:00 to 6:30. And my tank is in my Lapa. Weekdays I leave before 6, and weekends I get up by 7. So no problem. And I only need to sleep in the Lapa when I'm in real deep sh1t (never done that).

Also no need to run it into your skimmer. Any reaction chamber should do. But as you want contact time between bubble and water, that is why the skimmers is used. Can even add it to the venturi of a powerhead in your sump. But do not feed that directly into your display tank.

Amalick, you should "Test" it one night. Net time when you sleep next to your tank, switch off the O3, and check how you feel the next morning.

21. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey Vatso! I ran Ozone for a year through my Reef Octopus DNW 300. No issues hey, skimmer is still 100%. I dont know how long it takes for Ozone to stuff up the material though.

Recent Posts