How to get rid of bubble algae?

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Lemar, 15 Mar 2009.

1. Lemar

Lemar

Hi all.
    To our surprise after inspecting the sump tonight i got a big fright. something pearly is growing in our sump. I've done some research and it seems like bubble algae which is as far as ive heard very BAD. So far i don't see any traces of it in our DT.
    What must I do to get rid of it, and why/how did it start growing in my sump.
    What causes this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Lemar - somehow you got spores into your tank...... I presume that this you are talking about, is valonia.

The only real way to get rid of it, is manual removal, without bursting the little bubbles. Otherwise, you can try and find a crab called a green emerald crab (they are vegetarians - eat only sea veggies, including valonia macro algae....

4. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Also, it is not growing on the LR in the sump, but on the aragonite/playsand. Which seems a bit strange according to research.. any comments from anyone?

5. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Thanks jacques, do you perhaps have a picture of a green emerald crab? are they common, and easy to buy from LFS?
    Also, i put in 1 open brain coral, and some zoa's and star pollyps about a week ago. Could this have caused it, what's the reason for it growing? It happended so fast, its unbelievable. There was nothing on friday, and tonight its everwhere in the sump.
    Also is there maybe a reason it's growing in the sump and not in the DT?

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Do you have any pics, Lemar?

7. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

8. moz

moz

Good luck in getting rid of the stuff, I've been trying for amount 6 month and it's just getting worse. I've tried the manual removal with scrubbing and rinsing but the stuff keeps on coming back.

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

its possible to siphon it out i believe. I remember it being said somewhere on the forum. But as it has been said. dont burst those bubbles!!

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have always had a few bubble algae in my tank. They come and go, but have never got out of hand.

By the way they can be "popped" if they not fertile. Apparently they become opaque when fill with spores

11. Tony

Tony

Just wiggle them between your fingers to loosen them and then chuck them out. They actually bounce if you throw them right. I think Warren is right about the green one being infertile. I have popped a few and never had problems.

12. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

I was out of town last night, but my husband attempted the removal. Instead of manually picking them he syphoned them out. He said it worked really well and was quick. Everthing is gone now, so we will see if they come back.
    The syphoning was much easier than trying to remove them manually by hand.
    will keep you posted on whether it returns...

13. crispin

crispin

i had a huge amount with the LR when i first started out. I spend many an evening with the worst rocks in a bucket of tank water gently prizing the bubbles off. I found the point of a stake knife gently slipped under them worked them loose easily.

then a good rinse incase i had popped any. but the small unns were no problem. I did have a few big ones pop but never any large problems. Over time it seemed to die out, but i did hammer the inicial population through the cycle.

strange that its on your sump sand and not attached to the LR though.

glad you got it out:)

14. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Just a quick update, it's been a week and no sign of the bubble algae... :thumbup:

15. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Couple of things with this algae i have noticed in my system, firstly my tangs love it for some reason and secondly i have only seen this algae in healthy tanks.
    I have had it for many years in different parts of the system and it had never become a real problem.

16. moz

moz

Well I guess my tank is very healthy then:(.

17. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

That's good news, also to substantiate that. My whole system crashed in december (nennie soup, I was a stupid newbie and learned the hard way). Anyway my waterparameters are all 100%

Alk = 7
    PH = 8.3
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 0
    Ammon = 0
    PO4 = 0.01
    Calcium = 420
    Magnesium = 1300

and my coraline algae (which I've heard is a good thing) is also spreading nicely. so it seems our system is now at last healthy and in good condition.

18. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Valonia how do they start?...whr do they come from?...i saw at a LFS that they attach themselves to the mushrooms too

19. Tony

Tony

They come from spores that may be on the rock waiting for the right conditions to bloom. They will attach to corals in given the opportunity.

20. mnd123

mnd123

I have Red and Green bubbles algae, mainly in my sump where the lighting is less intense - I must say I quite like them and as Alan says they have never got out of hand so I leave them alone. Had them about a year with no ill effects.

21. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Are you sure...have any popped yet...

Thanks for explaining that Tony...

Recent Posts