how to get pod growing

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by KeeganP, 9 Mar 2011.

1. KeeganP

KeeganP

Hey there,
    Does anybody have any secrets on how to get pod's to start growing?
    Copepods
    Amphipoda
    and so on.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

u mean multiplying?

Dont have any predators in the tank that will dwindle their numbers. ;)

4. KeeganP

KeeganP Thread Starter

Well, I took a reefers advise and got some sand from the beach for my cycle, I did not put it in directly tho, I but it in a container and left it at the bottom of my tank. then later on a put in small piece's of LR and I only saw one little guy on the bottom crawling around until a small flagtail darted down and ate him :( that was only one that i've seen noo more so how do get more for them to start mulitiplying? I only have 2 flagtails in my tank.

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Its more than likely you have more pods than you realise you have. They dont exactly wonder around everywhere for you to see, Its best to wait until lights have been out for quite a while take a torch and look around your tank, you will be suprised at what comes out at night. I have never really seen any in any of my tanks over the years and I have had the same Mandarin for 2 years now and he must be eating something. :)

However I do know there are loads in my refugium in my sump which obviously spawn and feed the main tank. Do you have a dedicated refugium with macro algaes and liverock rubble connected to your tank? This will definately help if u are worried.

6. KeeganP

KeeganP Thread Starter

Yeah thats when I check at night, you can normally see them under gravel on the side of the glass.. but nothing :( Im sumpless. but tank is just about 2months old now... so farely new.. just gota wait I guess.

7. Dane

Dane

Keegan I suggest you build a refugium which flows into the tank. Thats how mine is setup and I have copepods everywhere. Whenever I look at the tank at night, several of my corals are closed up from eating something and there are pods everywhere. My refugium is literally crawling with them. Check my tank thread to see how I did it. I also have to pull macro out like a handful every two weeks.

8. KeeganP

KeeganP Thread Starter

Darn..., thats going to be a mission, I cannot put a sump in becase of space restrictions, and getting a overflow box in there is a mission becase those Jewuls have a bigass lip on the top of the tank.. is there any other way of putting in a refugium and what are the requirements of a refugium.

thanks

9. Dane

Dane

Dude. Go look at my thread. I am in the same situation as you. My fuge sits behind my tank, and is only about 15cm wide. You can even make a hang on fuge.

Setting up the fuge
    [​IMG]

Now that its grown in
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Mar 2011
  10. KeeganP

KeeganP Thread Starter

yoh that looks cool, see the other problem I have is, I have a HOB skimmer which takes up most of the space, I wonder if I cant build this into my skimmer, the flow back part, its the Via aqua multi HOB skimmer. will defnitely look into this. so what do you have in that refugium?

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Keegan go to the beach and collect some pods from the rocks...pick up rocks and shake them off in a bucket of water they will generally fall out. Collect as much as u can this way to help get u started, then in your tank since you dont have a sump or fuge, create a "Pod Pile". Its basically a little pile of liverock rubble, which u can glue together or just pack tightly so no fish can get into it that the copepods can live and breed in without fear of being hunted.

The other option is to plumb a refugium onto your system as Dane has said. You can even just have a drum next to your tank with macro algaes, sand bed and rock rubble in it with a light over to help algae growth. Then have a pump feeding to and from the drum to your system. But if u not keen for the hard work then my suggestion above is going to work best for u.

12. KeeganP

KeeganP Thread Starter

:thumbup: sweet thanks for all the help guys. Im going to go with the rock shaking for now, then I still need to build a auto top up and will make the drum/tub thing with the pump for the fuge.

Thanks guys.

13. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Also just remember that this takes time. You will have pods in your rock if it is liverock. The population will grow until it reaches an equilibrium in your system. Stay away from wrasses and mandarins initially to let the critters get a decent foothold.

Time.:)

14. KeeganP

KeeganP Thread Starter

:thumbup: got it, thanks bob.

15. Dane

Dane

You can definitely fit a fuge in somehow, even if its a small one. Maybe next to the HOB skimmer? The fuge doesnt have to run along the back of the tank...

In my fuge I run a bag of chemipure & a bag of phosban (havent changed them in months tho.... so probably not doing anything) and then just a few bits of rock and lots of chaetomorpha, grape caulerpa and umbrella caulerpa. The difference in pods in my tank from before and after the fuge is... well, exponential. I'll never run a tank without a fuge now.

16. KeeganP

KeeganP Thread Starter

:) thanks Dane, going to work something out.

Recent Posts