How to get clowns hosting?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by duanead, 20 Jun 2012.

1. duanead

duanead

Hi guys my tank have been running for 2 years now and I've had my captive bred false percula clowns since the beginning and the wouldn't even go near any of my lps.

About 2 months ago I got a beautiful green bubble tip anemone and they don't look like they'll ever host,is there a way I can get them to host?or should I get clowns that's not captive bred?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

clowns host if they want to, other than that there is no way to make them host

4. mandrin

mandrin

Tagging . I Have the same issuei Have
    A RBTA THEY DONT GO NEAR IT
    i Let them be . Let Nature do the rest

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Unfortunately you can't force clowns to host.
    What clowns to you have as the different clown species have different hosts.

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Speed reading again..see you have false percs.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Captive bred are more likely to never host.

I had 2 Ocealaris clowns. One wild caught the other captive. The wild caught hosted in the Pincushion while the other one never was interested. I thought that mother nature would eventually overcome the captive bred to follow the other one into the pincushion. But no, they went the other way. The wild caught stopped hosting, and they now sleep in the left front corner of the tank.

Clowns do not need an anemone to survive.

8. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Thank you guys.I know they don't need a anemone to survive its just great to watch them in it and wiggle around

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

You always hear people say captive bred may never host and wild ones will...but do you actually even get wild caught clowns anymore?

Back to the topic at hand...I heard once...and crazy as this may sound I believe it works...get a picture of clowns hosting in an anemone and place it next to your tank where your clowns can see it and it apparently helps them learn to host.

A BTA is not the natural anemone for an ocellaris anyway so that puts you at a bit of a disadvantage to start off with...it's taken me 4 BTA's and many dead euphyllias over close to 4 years to get my clowns to eventually host in a red bubble...so it can still happen in time, natural instinct may still prevail.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. CarlosF

CarlosF

captive clowns not hosting is bull i got one of each and first with my rbta the captive went in after a few weeeks and took the wild one a couple of months xtra to go in, after i sold the rbta the captive went to the frogspawn and wild soon followed both now live in the frogspawn

11. Aquanaught

Aquanaught

you cant force them to host, I've had my 2 clowns for 2 years with a nennie, I then put in a pin cushion, still nothing, the pin cushion grew and suddenly on night they both took to it and made it their home, left the nennie alone.

12. CW

CW

Jip, ive also had my 2 false aperculas since ive started with marines and they alwyas been in the bottom left and bottom right corners of all 3tanks they have been in.
    And still not hosting in any nennie i got for them.

Ok my skunk clowns did steal one nennie from them even before they had a look. hehe.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As I said, more likely not to host.

In my case, the wild caught one, did host and she stopped! Explain that one.

14. Wes

Wes

just a shot in the dark here, but could it be size dependant?

15. Helga

Helga

My wild caught Maroon started hosting about 2 weeks after she was put into the tank. Her male partner was added about a month later and joined her the day after he was added. In the refugium I have a Snowflake and a Platinum clown (tankbred). I added hairy mushrooms for them. The Snowflake took about 2 days and hosts in the mushrooms. The Platinum until now has never taken to hosting in the the mushrooms?
    I think its a matter of personal choice ;)..... they either do or they dont!

16. student

student

my ocealaris was in my tank for about 1.5years before i added a BTA, took it about 1.5-2 months to start hosting, was a slow process...
    couple months later, i added 2 baby tank bred black ocealaris and they were in that nennie within 5 minutes!!
    like others have said- no set rules

17. zak

zak

No issues mixing the black clowns the other?

18. Fanlie

Fanlie

Dont laugh me. My black clown host on Mushroom coral :O and other one dont like it. When i get more coral maybe would host bubble or touch coral or hammer or carpet coral etc. or no. let they choose it.

19. Keanan

Keanan 2time

@zak, I have introduced 2 clack and white clowns into my 60 cube with an existing pair
    ocellaris and they had a bit of ago at one another then but now they all sleep together and everything. I just dont want to know whats gonna happen if one of the pairs start to lay eggs.:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

i beg to differ... there is indeed a way to make them host and ive done it on numerous occasions with success....

1stly,remove anemone with or without rock and plce it in a bucket with tanks water,water level must be just above the anemones tips and nt too big either, place clowns in bucket aswell and watch a miracle happen, in less than 10 min in my previous attempts , the clowns almost immediately host,half hour later u re place nemmie in tank and release clowns closeby and they should host

stubborn clowns u can do the longer taking trick,get a plastic rice strainer and hang it submersed to rim in tank, place anemone in it with clowns overnight,in the morning you should have them hosting

you see, in a tank of no matter what size, the clowns often ignore the nemmie cause the options are so vast... wereas in the bucket/rice strainer ,its just them and nemmie in confined space,

WORKED FOR ME,SHOULD WORK FOR YOU:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Jun 2012
  21. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

i recently also bought 2 pairs of clowns from @mornewil,according him ,the true percs werent hosting, i did my trick and to his suprise ,they hosted immediately,he even hit me up afterwards to find out how i did it

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts