RSS How to Eliminate Aiptasia in Aquariums

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 23 Aug 2016.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

[​IMG]Aiptasia is a group of pest anemones that all aquarists will invariably have to deal with. Whether you have a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) or a full blown reef tank, these troublesome anemones seem to pop up out of nowhere. Sometimes it seems we have no chance against these plague like pests. Most aquarists are

Continue reading...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jade

Jade

We had a very bad Aiptasia infestation in our Nano tank and managed to beat it with nothing but tank water, a syringe and a tube. Will ask hubby to explain how he did it, but basically you take tank water, boil it and take a large syringe with a tube attached and blow the boiling water on the aiptasia then when water is finished in syringe you suck the aiptasia up with the syringe and voila..

4. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

That's it, sucking up the aptasia after killing it seems to be the key. That's not mentioned when using aptasia X etc. I'm gonna try this. Thanks Jade.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Jade

Jade

The good thing about this method is that only the tank water is being used, so chemicals or anything that can disrupt the water balance. Only thing is to keep an eye on tank Temp when doing this.

Leighlan.com and r0ckf1re like this.
  6. Lollos

Lollos

Hi Guys,

Yip Jade is correct I must of killed close to about 100 of these bad boys in a matter of days using the biggest syringe I could lay my hand on with air pump hose attached to the front.

I used +/- 1 liter of tank water that I boiled in a kettle to get it as hot as possible.

I then sprayed the boiling water on-top of them as slow as possible and at times did it twice in a row to ensure that they 100% dead. After it is killed I simply sucked them up using the same syringe and deposited the remains in a separate container to dispose of.

I started off using RO water but quickly realized that due to the population size I was going to have to do a water change to keep the same Gravity after each season so reverted to using tank water as boiling the tank water did not seem to break down the water perimeters.

We are glad to report that we only have about 5 or so of them left and will be nailing them during my next water change.

Recent Posts