how to dose?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 31 Jul 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

So after reading all the threads on Prodibia I am doing some research. The product looks good but no matter where I look even on www.prodibia.fr I can't find the dosing frequency. I know I need 12 vials but is that all at once, once a week etc?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please on the dosing frequency?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

if you get the standard range (tanks of 200L-1000L) of biodigest/bioptim etc then its 1 vial per 200L every 14days. Its not 1 vial per 1000L as sometimes the site tells us. The instructions are pretty confusing

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Ok so help me out here. I have two tanks a 190l cube and a 30l nano. The cubhas been cycling for 5 weeks ready with well fired livck (two months cycled and cured)

Now when you get the Prodibia 30 vials its 15 Amino Stop and 15 Biodigest in the box.

Now for the cube is that the biodigest and amino stop every 14days? And the little 30l nano?

Thanks for your help man!!

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

You also get a nano range and that will be cool for your nano, but you can also just use one vial on the 30L tank as with biodigest there is no risk of overdosing. The nano range is cheaper.. For your cube its 1 vial of biodigest per 14 days.. With regards to the stopAmmo the site says:
    Stop Ammo traps ammonia and reduces the proportion of nitrites when starting
    up a new aquarium and in water used to transport fish. This prevents the fish
    from being shocked or killed.
    Stop Ammo is made from the extracts of specially selected plants. The plants in
    question have developed a special molecular system with the capacity to trap
    ammonia nitrogen. Ammonia nitrogen is particularly volatile and toxic and is
    firstly stored in a non-volatile, non-toxic form, and then synthesized in the form
    of food, namely proteins and amino acids.
    The saponins have been removed in order to make the plant extract suitable for
    use in aquaculture and aquariums (saponins are poisonous for fish gills).
    WHEN SHOULD YOU USE STOP AMMO?
    Stop Ammo can be used in the following cases:
    • In your aquarium to limit an accidental rise in nitrites, caused, for example,
    by a dead fish.
    • In water used to transport fish to reduce the water’s ammonia content by 15-
    50%, cutting the risk of fish disease and stress.
    • When your fish are acclimatising to reduce or eliminate fish loss and encourage
    quicker acclimatization.
    Dosage of each product
    • Standard range, if nitrite surge:
    1 vial for 200 l (50 US gal)
    • Pro range, if nitrite surge:
    1 vial for 2000 l (500 US gal)

There is no dosage instructions, but I guess it would be one every 14days. I would not use the whole 15 as you wont need it. Just for the first month I would say use StopAmmo (2 vials for the month). After the first month use BioClean (Thats biodigest and bioptim) as your maintenance

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

did you already buy the prodibio vials?

7. maxisoft

maxisoft

If your intention is to kick start a new tank, then the dosing is very different to regular dosing. What I gather here is that you intend to circumvent the normal cycle? This means getting your tank ready for livestock..... Most of us did it the conventional way..... Will be interesting to hear the responses from those old hands who cycle a tank over a weekend? :yeahdude:

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

haha.. Yes you can cycle the tank in a weekend, but for a noob I dont recommend this at all. Do it the slow way (like us) as while the tank is cycling, you do a lot of research and you know and understand what you want to stock and its requirements. REsearch and research :thumbup:

9. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

brilliantly confusing product :) some sites say once a week for six weeks to "take you over the nutrient hump" then they follow up with normal dose is 1 vial every 14days :)

Just to be clear its the biodigest that's important right?

10. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

This is called research :)

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

Biodigest is the bacteria, its what I use. Bioptim is the carbon source. When you use the two together then it works really good. This is what people normally use and if I were you I would buy this rather. When packaged together its called BioCLean. Also 1 vial per 200L every 14days..

I dont know anyone who has used stopAmmo

12. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Ok so I have 15 vials of Biodigest and from your recommendation above I should get 15 vials of Bioptim and use these together right?

The pack I bought was the Prodibia Start Up 30 vials.

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

You can use the start up, it wont hurt to use the stopammo but after a month or two, the tank should be fine. REmember to test the water to see the rise and fall of ammonia and no3 :) .. You can just get a box of 12 bioptim. Biodigest and bioptim are the most important. The stuff works!

So you will be dosing the startup for the first month or two (monitor the ammonia and no3) .. It will be 1 vial biodigest and 1 stop ammo

Then when the tank is cycled and ammonia and no3 remain at 0, start dosing 1 vial of biodigest and 1 of bioptim every 14days. With bioptim you need to turn your skimmer off, so rather turn the skimmer off in the nigh, dose then turn it back on in the morning.

If you can, try to return the start up and get BioClean (biodigest + bioptim)

14. 2balive

2balive

Hi

As far as I could follow the frenchlish, Ammo Stop is for starting the cycle and a safeguard if you introduce new new rock, fish or bio-load. Also handy if you stuff around with your filter and/or "accidentally" overfeed. Would not use it on a normal running tank as a maintenance dose. Keep the ones you have for above.

Bio-digest is a combination of bacteria that that handles ammoniac, nitrite AND nitrate and apparently does this with-out the need of another food/carbon source. They are claimed to be "balanced", which I take means it will convert the all the way (the nitrate as well).

Bioptim is a dosing of trace and other elements. Note that they recommend to only use this once your tank is nitrate and phosphate low/undetectable. They recommend that you only use Bio-digest and/or other means until you achieve a low nutrient environment before you dose with the Bioptim.

I will try to find the links again I got this from and post it.

The regime is once every 14 day, the nano range goes up to about 120l if i remember correctly.

No use mailing them, never got answers back from them.

PS. I often use Google translate on the french/german sites, seam to produce a better understandable english.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2011
  15. Tremayn

Tremayn

in short, biodigest is the bacteria and bioptim is the carbon source. Basically its just carbon dosing

Recent Posts