How to decide from who to buy livestock?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by SteveZi, 30 Dec 2011.

1. SteveZi

SteveZi

How do you decide from who you will buy livestock?
    Sorry if this is a controversial question, but I think it’s important ito conservation, as well as for the hobby.

I don’t buy livestock, but if I had to make that choice, some things I would consider:

1. I would want to buy from someone who values the life of the livestock more than the money to be made from it.
    The mission statement of a business should always be twofold – 1st to serve the community, have a positive impact, be conservation minded, and 2nd to make a profit.
    2. Someone who understands the responsibility of the role they play by being part of the distribution channel that takes living things out of their natural environment and puts them wherever they end up – hopefully in the tank of a skilled/responsible aquarist.
    3. Someone who is financially sound and can pursue he’s or her passion for the love of it and not as a necessity – morals and values can quickly fly out the window when the going gets tough financially.
    4. Someone who is knowledgeable and helpful
    5. Someone who does not measure the death of a fish ito the amount of money they lost.
    6. Someone who has spent enough time in and around the ocean that they understand the impact of their business, in other words not disconnected from that natural environment.
    7. Someone who has spent enough time as an aquarist to be considered an expert.

We should all strive to create the awareness of the conservational benefits of this hobby, and try to eliminate the negatives.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Hi Steve

You may want to ad the following

8. Someone who only buys their livestock from suppliers who adopt ethical practices, like MAC approved where possible
    9. Someone who maintains adequate acclimation procedures to ensure the survival rate of their livestock imported
    10. Someone who is a registered member of The South African Pet Traders Association (SAPTA)
    11. Someone who gives me a 50% discount once a year on any livestock purchase of choice ;)

SteveZi likes this.
  4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Best answer to this, is build up a relationship with your LFS owner!!

Perky Pets likes this.
  5. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Agree

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

In short, buy from someone who knows what the hell is going on! lol :)

7. mytank

mytank

A. Someone that QT's their stock

Agree on the relationship, I have a great relationship with @wildonpets and they always go out of their way to help me where they can I.e. when they don't have stock of something say a ph buffer or coral x they give me some in a little bottle of their shop stock.

Recent Posts