How to correct ph levels

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Graham2212, 14 Mar 2013.

1. Graham2212

Graham2212

Hi all
    Please excuse the newbie questions... I have a new system that has been cycling for 7 weeks and last week it was stocked with 2 clown fish and a gobie. My ph and nitrate levels seem to be slightly high. How do I bring these levels down a bit? Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

What is your ph?
    How are you,kh, calcium and magnesium levels?

4. Graham2212

Graham2212 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Ph is 8.2, kh is 5dKH / 1.8 meg/L. I'm afraid i dont have a calcium or magnesium tester yet - will go and get tomorrow. Talk about a steep learning curve!...

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

Ph is slightly low if anything.

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

Do a waterchange imo

7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

You mean KH @mandarinman?
    Ph of 8.2 is spot on... (Recommended range is 8.1 - 8.4)
    Your kh is a bit low... Not really concerning if you dont have any corals.
    @Graham2212, you can simply add a kh buffer like aquavitro 8.4
    Just remember that your kh & calcium levels are linked, & if kh is low, your calcium is also likely low...

The other thing to remember is that your kh is a buffer for your ph. If your kh is low, you will start seeing swinging ph as well. Recommended range is 7-12dkh...
    If you keep a constant kh level within that range, you will never have any major dips/swings in your ph. @carlosdeandrade

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Lets start from the beginning and most important parameter. What is your SALINITY. all the other parameters are influenced by that one singular element.

9. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Do you have a refractometer @Graham2212?
    If not, take a sample to your lfs & ask them to test your salinity for you.
    @Nemos Janitor is right. Salinity is your most important perameter...

10. Graham2212

I just tested the salinity... its a bit low - slightly above 1.02. Am i correct in saying that most of the minerals that are required in a system, are (or should) be included in the marine salt I use?

11. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

No, you get 2 different types...
    Marine salt that is made for fish only tanks. These salts are almost always low in the important parameters...
    Then you get reef salts that is made specifically for coral tanks. These salts are mostly on par with most parameters & normally a bit higher on alk & calcium to help keep up with the calcification demands of corals. They also include trace elements which isnt always in the cheap marine salts...

If you tell us which brand you use, we can help you a bit more in detail!

Did you measure with a refractometer or a swing arm unit?
    Salinity should idealy be between 1.021 -1.025 for fish only tanks & 1.023-1.026 for reef tanks...

Last edited: 14 Mar 2013
  12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Most should be. It is important to test salinity/Specific gravity and keep your testing "NO" consistent. A good "NO" to pick is around sg 1,026 @20c or s=35

From your first question, pH & Nitrate. What is the bottom line of you questioning? I get the feeling that something is amiss.

13. Graham2212

Thanks visser. I'm using Aquaria's brand of reef salt. I think i was just a bit light with my previous water change! I'm using a swing arm tester - time to upgrade? I must say that forum is fantastic! Very helpful indeed! Thanks people!

14. Graham2212

@Nemos Janitor - realising now that maybe i was stressing a bit too much. I was expecting a neutral ph (shows my lack of knowledge in the subject). I was also expecting by now that my nitrate levels be zero or negligible - like my ammonia and nitrite levels.

15. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Im not really familiar with the aquaria salts... Ive heard they are ok, but cant comment on it!
    Yes, a refractometer is very important in keeping your system stable. Its also MUCH more accurate than a swing arm one...
    Just remember that your salinity is directly related to all other chemicals in your system (except for nitrates & phosphates)
    Low salinity = low everything else.
    High salinity= high everything else. Lol.

Lol, sorry graham, unfortunately it isn't as easy as that!!! (As you have learned today)
    Unlike ammonia & nitrite, it is a lot more difficult to get low nitrate levels in your tank.
    Nitrates is extremely soluble in water & there are only a few ways to succesfully remove it from your system. (It accumulates over time if not removed by a special process)
    You will find the same problem with phosphates.

I would suggest you read up a bit more on nitrates & phosphates & the whole nitrogen cycle as a start... It will give you some background on keeping succesful marines...

16. pkc

pkc

Your swing arm specific gravity tester, if that’s the one you have is fine. I have been using mine, which my brother gave me back then, since 1980.
    If your aquariums temperature range is from 23c to 27c;they are accurate with in a half point and quick and simple to use at the water change site as well. I have checked mine against two refractometers.
    If you want some extra insight into Ph then google about it and look for something from Randy Holmes at reefkeeping.com, it’s a good one to look at. He seems to have a resonable understanding of this.
    PH is very simple and easy to control. One thing that most are told that is of no concern,but is disruptive to tank life over the long term,this is when your lights are off and photosynthetic life are manufacturing CO2 and not oxygen.This is the main time to allow for PH disruptions, unless you make a mistake that is, then PH can be an issue any time.
    Cascaded waters correctly set up with the assistance of single celled algae somewhere in the average marine aquarium waters enables consistent PH stabilisation, no matter what!
    A phosphate test, which in a parameter test shows phosphorus levels, is very easy to keep at zero and nitrate is even easier to keep at zero.
    They are simple to keep at bay with the use of natural methods and all marine aquariums with sumps have enough room to achieve this.
    The advice on saliniy is very important to adhere to,try to keep it at all times at 1.024 and check it each second day with out fail.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
Recent Posts