how to clean a Protein skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JsPLAYn, 11 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Hi... And no I dnt mean the cup and neck lol..... I need to make it look new so I can package it... Its got buildups of algae and coraline inside th base of skimmer wer its imposible to reach with the hands... Any ideas or proven to wrk methods anyone can offer pleas!!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maj

maj

soak it in a nice strong vinegar mix,will soften up all that algae/corraline.
    let it soak for a few hours,then just rinse it well with a hose pipe,works well with that hard to reach areas

keyaam likes this.
  4. JD167

JD167

Dilute some cheap viniger in a bit of RO in the skimmer and give it a good shake. Leave it for 30mins or so then use a NEW:) plastic toilet brush or something to clean the inside. You get those brushes at Checkers or Pick n Pay.

brentch likes this.
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I use a extra tub, water in it, cheap vinegar 1L from Spar and let it run overnight.

Looks brand new the next morning.

Cleaned my TS2 skimmer like this previously.

Ridwaan likes this.
  6. Tremayn

Tremayn

As Riaan said, let the skimmer run in the RO/vinegar mix :)

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

big container luke warm water 2 bottles of vinnegar (+- R5 per 750ml) and let soak overnight, try not to use anything abrasive to remove the corraline as it will scratch the body..

the longer you leave the item soak and the stronger the vinnegar solution the quicker the acetic acid dissolves the corraline..

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

vinegar and RO.... I clean my skimmer every 6 months

9. Quintonv

Quintonv

this actually gives me an idea to clean my skimmers tonight. Thanx very the valuable info

10. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

Shot bru, gna give it a try

11. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs guys, so this all boils down to vinegar an water does the trick ...awesum... I think RiaanP's sound like a plan, gt it running in water and vinegar mix as we speak, but in seperate tank... Fingers crossed 2morw it'll look new lol

12. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

1 problem, I didn even add so much vinegar and its overflowing like crazy.... Is it how it should be?

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

just let it run, the vinigar will make loads of extra bubbles. You can reduce the air inflow to make less bubbles

14. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Rather remove all airflow completly.

irie ivan likes this.
  15. mandrin

mandrin

hi guys i am having a problem with my venturi protein skimmer its gottrn noisey after 5 months now and the buubles are not fine its a bit big ........how can i adjust it or is this normal after 5 months in a new tanks ...thanks

16. Barlan

Barlan

hi guys

my nitrates are sky high and i think the cause is all the stuff at the back that needs cleaning.
    my plan is to clean the skimmer and the water pump, they're COVERED in red residue from the food i feed them.
    i've rinsed out my sponge and matrix+bio balls last night.

now, my question is this: will my nano be ok without the skimmer? i dont want my fish to die cause the water isnt being circulated.

am i correct in saying that all this left over food build up on my equipment could very well be the cause of my high nitrates?

i recently started using this stuff called "nitrate minus" from tetra, once a week, to try bring my nitrates down, i've left the skimmer running. logically this doesnt really make sense to me, cause the stuff in the nitrate minus needs to "sink to bottom" so it can absorb the nitrates, but the skimmer will be sucking it out while circulating the water, so i'm not sure if i'm even using it correctly.

this is but one of my problems, but i think that once i sort this out, the rest should fall into place.

any help will be most valued.

thanks ppl :)

17. Mc

Mc

You can take out the skimmer for a while, but you will need some flow in the tank.
    Are there any other circulation pumps.

If you are having a nitrate problem you may want to remove the ceramic rings and bio balls completely, they can be the cause of nitrates.

You may also want to try put something like filter floss in the back to take out all that left over food so that it doesn't build up there. You will just need to replace this regularly, I would reccommend twice a week.

What kind of tank is it?

18. Barlan

Barlan

hi MC
    we have an aquaria magicwave 37 (37 liters), the only circulation comes from the water pump pushing the filtered water from the back into the tank and the tank water being sucked into the skimmer and my bubbles from an air stone in the middle-back of the tank. other than that, there really is no other circulation.

i've taken out 70% of my ceramic rings, and put filter floss above the remaining ones.
    i'm planning on taking out the matrix and bio balls soon, because even after my clean up and water change, there still seems to be a lot of build up of that red stuff on the netting.
    i've decided to clean the back over the weekend, cause i can watch my fish all day, where as i cant when i'm at work.

i'm a little worried about removing all the bio filters and replacing with filter floss or sponge in one go.
    what will get rid of the nitrates if i do that?

an does anyone have any opinions on Tetra nitrate minus? i havent seen a change in my levels yet, but it has only been 2 weeks and i'm pretty sure the above problem may over ride the effects of the nitrate absorber.

i'll take some pics of the back of my tank and see what opinions come up on what to put where :)

19. Mc

Mc

You are right to remove them slowly.

I think adding a small powerhead will help, just make sure its very small, maybe around 1200lph.
    There is a nice seio powerhead like that, its called the prop320.

I have never used that tetra stuff.
    Will keep an eye out for those pics.;)

Recent Posts