How to choose which salt to use

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by dallasg, 22 May 2013.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

So i have had alot of people ask which salt one should use, which is the best etc..
    my answer is somewhat logical and simple...

What levels do you want to keep your Alk at? its no point wanting to run a ULNS system with an Alk of 7 and the salt you use has an Alk of 12.4, whether you are filling up your tank or doing water changes the ultimate goal is stability, so by doing a little research on your salt will provide that little bit extra to the stability of your system, which in turn will help your livestock.

If you going to base your salt purchase on cost, then you will fight stability and swinging parameters, while i understand that this hobby seems expensive, all hobbies are and we need to have the best environment for hobby as they are dependent on us for their well-being

Happy Reefing!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Have to agree with this statement. While no two systems are the same, we will always end up with the debate on which salt brand is best, and each and every person will say the brand they use is the best. Most importantly is to find a brand that works for you and provides that stability and stick to it. Not just change it because you heard another reefer say this salt contains an extra something special, and then saying thats why their tank is thriving. Majority of the top end salt brands are good and trying to say which one is better than the other is like a never ending battle. It just boils down to preference

4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

yes preference that fit in the scheme of the tank... i used redsea coral pro, great salt but keeping my Alk at 8 was nearly impossible as the salt mixed to 12.4.

this hobby is only made expensive by ourselves

5. the fish

the fish

i have been using AquaMedic the last couple of months and i have to say that i am not disappointed. i have had better coral growth, my parameters are stable and i think it is probably the best salt that i have used thus far.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Good point @dallasg.
    Something ive been experimenting with regarding salt mixes is to mix the first mixture for a new tank at a lower salinity (1.022) & then allowing the corraline algae to absorb the alk & calcium down to my preferred levels. After the tank has cycled, i start doing 10% waterchanges with higher salinity salt mixtures (1.030) for a couple weeks until the salinity has stabilised at 1.026.
    The higher cal & alk levels of the small 1.030 mixture isn't enough to increase those levels too much & at by the time you add your first corals, the parameters are at the right levels with the correct salinity.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that is what I've been using the last couple of years.

Get an acceptable quality salt at an acceptable price.

It's a trade off. The most expensive salt is not the best. And getting salt at half the price as other slightly better in quality and you do not mind all those 10% water changes.

8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

One of the old members here once said salt is salt but that was years ago. I want to go with one brand but not sure which one to get...

Recent Posts