Urgent help needed How the heck do I fix this???

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by danimal, 16 Apr 2010.

1. danimal

danimal

[​IMG]

Got home last night to find the baffle containing my DSB has broken.... the return pump is functioning alright for now as the sand has piled up at the rear of the pump. I have no idea how to fix this short of draining the sump and removing all the sand, leadding to massive die-off.... and even if that were possible, once the sand is put back in, my bacteria colony will be back at square one (maybe two :p )

any ideas???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. regis

regis

wow, try and wedge a loose piece of glass or persepex between the sand and the remaining glass

4. robertkukla

robertkukla

there is no way of fixxing it properly without stripping it , you can try what regis says , but i think your sand has been disrupted already

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sorry man, not good. I think the DSB is useless now anyway seeing that the sand level dropped and the anearobic area/zones got some oxygen enriched water. There is only one way - remove all the sand, seal/replace the glass and put the sand back.
    The glass partitions needs to be sealed decently to prevent water siphoning through at the bottom and enter the low oxygen zones.
    You might need to wash the sand decently with old tank water to rid all the sulpher etc and try to minimise die off. The other way is to wash the sand from scratch with RO and start over with the DSB. Either way, it will take a couple of months to mature again. Good luck ;)

6. Anemone

Anemone

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

just slide in the new glass next to the current glass. Without taking old one out.
    Then using a powerhead or flexible tube on you return pump, wash the sand out between new and old glass, until you can push old glass back into place. new glass might have to be slightly shorter from front to back, to allow old pane silicone to stay in place. Drain the return chamber.

Then you can smear silicone all over between the two, and over the broken pane. And push old glass back together against new. Just seal the top part between the two glass pieces.

Use small pieces of 5 ply wood, between broken glass and end of the sump, to hold in to place. Just as support until silicone is dry.

Put return pump in the first chamber, and use it from there for the day.
    Water level on DSB will be just under end baffle height. Use a small 300L fountain pump, just to circulate the DSB. By that, mount it inside the DSB with outlet causing a circular movement.

Will look ugly, but at least its done. And within a few hours you should be able to remove the plywood, and put return pump where it belongs.

And do not cut yourself....

8. neo

neo

imo you will not be able to insert a new piece of glass as the sand will forever be in the way cause while there is water, watever sand you try to clean will be replaced by other sand grains. siliconing the glass in the water wont work either.
    my idea, remove the pump and broken glass to make one big DSB and use an external pump with pickup in the water above the DSB, not ideal but least amount of disturbance for DSB.

9. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

that's a great idea, thanks.

i think i will give this a try in the interim, thanks riaan.

Is there a way to move an entire DSB from one sump to another without drastic consequences? if one were to get another sump (with properly designed baffles!), how dangerous would it be to move the sand between the two? I don't see a way of doing it without disturbing the anaerobic zones at the bottom...

10. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

hmmm. might be onto something here. what about just sitting the pump on top of the DSB?

11. Francois

Francois

[​IMG]

Hi Danimal

Eish what a mess... what I would think of recovering that issue just my 2c. Drill holes and build your return compartment if you got space, take out the divider and make that whole section your dsb.

12. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

No space there unfortunately, my sump compartment is pretty cramped... great idea though. can anyone see a reason NOT to simply enlarge the DSB size (which can never be a bad thing) and put the return pump on the sand? obviously taking pains the ensure the pump cant become blocked by chaeto/sand etc

13. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

better yet, maybe I can fit the return pump in the first section with the skimmer. to ensure flow across the DSB I could put the outlet pipe from the DT over the DSB, where the return pump is now. might blow the sand around a bit though...

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Or else

Simpler option, go to glass shop, make small little square box, deep as the glass baffle, big enough to fit your return pump, narrow enough to fit into old return chamber. Put it in place, remove broken glass pane, and fill space up with more sand for a bigger DSB.

How big is your current DSB. As you maximum will have only last 150mm sand shifting down while working, I cannot see how the complete DSB died. Yes it is disturbed, but what portion to complete surface area is disturbed?

And if you temporary slide another glass, plastic advertisement board or whatever to keep rest of DSB back, then you will even disturb less of the surface.

You did not disturb all the sand....

15. Francois

Francois

Sorry

Having problems with this vodacom 3g of mine.

16. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

now we're talking! not a whole lot is disturbed, very little actually. thats why i was happy to leave it as is for today as everyhting seemed fine upstairs. i will get more sand tonight (night diving :yeahdude:) to fill up the rest of the space and get a glass box tomorrow. thanks guys!

17. FransSny

FransSny

VERY good idea Riaan :thumbup:, i actually have to go look at a similar problem now and will keept that in mind as an option

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes, like a fishtank, in your sump, those small little ones.

Only problem is that you have to install a ATU. As the space for water evaporation fluctuations are now less.

But advantage is that your DSB is bigger....

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and yes, another possible problem, if water level inside this little sump is too low, then it could float out of the sand. So keep the ATU high up.

But again , no reason to have the water level lower in last chamber. Use all area above DSB for water fluctuation movement, no need for water to tumble down into last chamber. But then again your ATU must be setup very precise, as a smaller water level drop will actually be a lot more water, than a water level drop only in the return chamber.

Just be carefull not to float the small tank

20. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

i was thinking the same. and if you dont put a bottom on the little box, just have the wallsitting there, it cant float up. the pressure of the sand around it will keep i from shifting.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

at some time in the future, you will bump the wall, and sand will movein below the wall. Nope, rather have a tank with bottom. Problem is it possible floating. Maybe have one side slightly higher, just use a bit of silicone above water level to stick that side to end glass of sump. That will prevent the tank floating.

Recent Posts