How should I go about this?

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by LRS, 7 Dec 2009.

1. LRS

LRS

I'm a bit gatvol of the way my tank is running....
    So I'm thinking of going a little bigger wrt tank size and hopefully change a few other things as well.

1.) Can I just transfer everything oneshot into the new tank or will it cause a mini cycle?

2.) I've got two big pieces of liverock only. As you guys can imagine I don't have much choice wrt scaping and my fish don't have the ideal amount of hiding. Can I break one of the rocks up or not?

3.) Can I use new substrate or should the substrate in the tank now be used again?

4.) How much of the old water should I use?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

See answers in red

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How old is the current tank?

If you can move everything over in one go but still use the same sump, yes,, it can be done. Done it myself.

But if you are adding a lot of extra LR, with new sump, I rather will let the new tank complete its cycle, thereafter do a move from old small tank to new.

I will not break nice big pieces of rock. Rather add base rock underneath and use the big pieces.

5. Annoying

Annoying

If your going to use the old water use only the first 60 %

6. Pugsly

Pugsly

SOMETIMES STARTING OVER MEANS YOU CAN DO THING RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.
    wHAT ARE THE PARAMETERS OF YOUR CURRENT SETUP? THIS WILL BE A GREAT GUIDELINE FOR YOU AND PROVE THAT YOU CAN MOVE EVERYTHING OVER ONE TIME.

I SAY THIS FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS - IF YOU HAVE HIGH PHOSPHATES, NITRITES, NITRATES AND AMMONIA IN YOUR CURRENT SETUP ALL YOU ARE GOING TO DO IS MOVE IT ALL OVER TO THE NEW SETUP AND THUS MAKE YOU "GATVOL" YET AGAIN.

WHY ARE YOU GATVOL OF THE CURRENT SETUP? MAYBE CAUSE YOU HAVE PROBLEM ALGEA?

PERSONALLY - IF IT WAS ME, I WOULD START EVERYTHING OVER FROM NEW - GET NEW SUBSTRATE ETC, NEW LR AND SO ON AND THEN LET IT CYCLE - ONCE IT HAS FINISHED CYCLING AROUND 3 MONTHS, THEN START INTRODUCING YOUR CURRENT LS SLOWLY TO THE NEW SYSTEM TILL ALL IS MOVED OVER.

Recent Posts