How often should you feed your coral

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by williet, 8 Jan 2011.

1. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi guys

Just got some coral! I fed it lastnight seafood mix and they are looking stunning today!
    Now the question is- how often do you feed them?
    I am scared I will overdo and get water problems?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Me, never. I feed my fish and my fish poo feeds my coral. What corals are they?

4. williet

williet Thread Starter Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Lps and some zoas a phalytoas

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

No need to feed, but u can, I just also feed my fish a lot and let them take of it
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi.

We feed our corals dayly.

Have a mixture of 50% NCP /25% TET / and 25% ISO algeas wich we add and finish the mix over a week.

These algeas are made by Jens - one of our costimers and can supply about 6L per week at the moment .( hes in france at the moment , but will be back on wednesday )

Made a huge difference as ive been using it for about 3 months now and we are very happy with it.

Thanks
    David

7. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

I feed my coral a mixture of the MicrobeLift Phyto-A, Phyto-B and ZooPlus once or twice a week.

8. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Apparently - " V " told me ive got samples coming, will try them as soon as i get them.

Tks
    David

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

LPS corals should be fed regularly, about once per week, if possible. Feed them grated pieces of fresh fish, prawns, shrimp, mussels - in other words, sea food... (but not squid/calamari, as they are pretty tough (and not natural coral food), and thus probably more difficult to digest. Judge the size of the food particles by the size of the coral's mouth - large LPS corals can eat surprisingly large pieces of food (I have a scolymia which once caught and ate a ±80mm Goldie...)

It is best to feed the LPS some time after lights out, once their hunting tentacles appear. Depending on the type of LPS (and it's size), it helps if you could stop the water flow for half an hour or so.

In my humble opinion, LPS corals don't benefit from being "fed" algae, as the algae are much too small for the corals to capture and ingest. The algae could indirectly benefit them, though, by being food for smaller inverts ('pods...) which eat the algae, and then subsequently are eaten by the corals.

Hennie

Last edited: 8 Jan 2011
  10. Afsal

Afsal

@ Hennie , how does feed hammers , frogspawns etc .... ???

11. Junz

Junz

For my SPS, I feed Lobster eggs & plankton 3x a week.

12. Anemone

Anemone

My corals get fed every time my fish get fed. I feed Rod's food which is a complete reef food. Unfortunatley, I don't believe it is available outside of the US.

13. xtreme

xtreme

I use a large gravel syphon and put it over the torch and through small pieces see mix in, day before water change I take some aquarium water and black mussel and blend it to soup and pour every thing in, just check your skimmer, it will go mad.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

With small pieces of food :whistling:

I make a blend of mixed seafood by processing some fresh fish, prawns, mussels, and fish roe (if available) through the wife's food processor (very important: when she's not around...). This "mush" is then placed into ziploc bags, pressed flat, and frozen. Whenever I want to feed the fish or corals, I just break off an appropriate sized piece of the "ice cream", thaw it in some tank water, and then pour the mix into the tank. I use a turkey baster to lightly squirt some of the mix onto each coral, but that is not really necessary as the water movement carries the food past all the corals in the tank (I stop the return pump, and about half of the internal pumps, thus still maintaining some movement). I feed the fish during the day, and the corals catch what they can, but specifically feed them at night (when the fish cannot steal the food) about once per week. If you have to feed the corals during the day then a large gravel syphon or plastic 2-litre Coke bottle with the bottom cut off, placed over the coral, as stated by xtreme in the post above, works very well to prevent robberies.

I believe that SPS and smaller LPS corals can get enough nutrition by being naturally fed with fish waste, "pods" and plankton (zoo- and phytoplankton), but that larger LPS must have more substantial meals :)

Hennie

Recent Posts