How often does one change and add water

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mytank, 14 Mar 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

Title says it all. How often does one change the water and or add additional water mix?

What am i missing trying to get a.sense.of.the maintainer cycles. I sometimes travel for two weeks at a time and don't want to harm investment

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

I do two water changes of 25 litres over weekends

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

every weekend then?

5. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

every weekend. i might throw in another 25 litres during the week if i feel like it

6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

really hmmm doesn't it disturb the tank?

Isn't that what filters etc are for?Two

7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Filters and skimmer remove some of the good stuff we need, thats why waterchanges are so beneficial casue it replenishes all the good stuff the tanks needs like calcium,magnesium and trace elements... The more and longer the tank is established the longer you can go without waterchanges but i prefer waterchanges. Some guys never do changes others do monthly or weekly i prefer to do it as much as i can.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2011
  8. Dane

Dane

How often you change your water depends on a lot of factors. Namely:

Tank volume: The more water the more diluted the waste, the lesser the need for WC
    Tank bioload: The more fish/livestock the more waste the greater the need for WC
    Tank filtration: The better the filtration the less the waste the lesser the need for WC
    Tank maturity: The more mature and stable the tank the lesser the need for WC

In the beginning, you will need to make WC a regular chore. This may lessen as the tank matures, but should always be a part of your routine. I leave my little nano without a WC for a month sometimes. But then again, I still have algae. :p I have seen many absolutely amazing tanks where there hasn't been a proper WC in months if not even longer. Not that I advocate this approach. WC does not only dilute waste products, it also replenishes valuable elements.

9. maxisoft

maxisoft

Ok, so I'm about to get my head bitten off by other reefers.... here goes...

I started my tank cycle beginning of December. I have yet to do a water change, have had no deaths, problems, etc except for an algae bloom which was due to high phosphates after increasing the amount of live rock. I top up with RO water every day (whiich will become a thing of the past in the next few days as I complete my auto-top up), but thats it. Since then, I have added 1 cup of salt to bring my salinity from 1.024 to 1.025.

Of course this method requires additives and nutrients. But in my opinion, if it aint broke, dont change it. If you have a problem, then treat it... problem solved. I had a slight yellowing of the water, which has now been fixed by the addition of activated carbon. Thats my opinion... now lets see the responses......:tt2::tt2:

10. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

hehe, Id rather keep my mouth shut :)

Every guy has what works for him in the end, but the best adive for a newbie is to rather do waterchanges weekly 10-20% until you have better understanding of water parameters and how the whole system works..

Maxisoft do you have all you parameters tested like KH,mag,calc,phos,nitrates ?

11. maxisoft

maxisoft

Yep, in fact I got the fish himself @dallasg to test my water over the weekend. And its fine, apart from what I mentioned earlier regarding some phos which was 0.025 and is being treated. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi all

This is an interesting chat. I met a guy lately who comes from old school reefing.
    He has been doing it in the days of no sumps and reverse undergravel filtration.
    Their methods were crude. No testing kits. Odd water change, and they kept nennies(his even splitted!!!!!!).

So sometimes I ask why we are sometimes so pedantic.

Their no care methods seem to work!!!!

Personally I love the science!:thumbup:

13. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

I do a 30% water change weekly but then I only have a 60L. If I don't my nitrates start hitting scary levels and there's no DSB or fugue to he'll me out. Saying that I've had no issues with algae at all, fish are healthy etc

I think I may relax a little with my next tank BUT I do believe in water changes so I may chill but I still expect to do one every 2 weeks to a month.

14. Dane

Dane

@fly* - Dude if you dont have any algae or any problems then don't chill on the WC. Your nano looks so bloody good I wouldnt do anything to risk that!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

i think it differs from tank to tank, and everything plays a role

money
    size of tank
    reefer
    stocking level

in the end its just all up to what you are happy with

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

just wait.
    eventually the phosphates will settle into the liverock even more, until saturated. Then your green farm will really start. Not easy to get the phosphates out of the rock. Been there.

Water change is needed, especially in the beginning. As tank matures and bacteria populations can handle things, yes, maybe then either bring it down to 5% or every second weekend.

Dilution is the Solution to Pollution.

Plus Water change does not only dilute the nasties, it also replaces some trace elements. So unless you got your own personal CSI Miami lab (girls included) to be able to test for everything in the water, I would rather stick to water changes.

17. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Lol thanks Dane, I wish I could say it was me, but the success of that tank is due directly to water changes I rate :)

The new tank will have a lot more toys which should ensure minimal waterchanges, bigger skimmer, Zeo setup, dosing and vodka dosing. I rate I should be able to get away with one water change everynow and then rather than every week.

18. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

If i understand correctly its advisable to do a 10-15% waterchange weekly on the Zeo method. (depends on your levels of nutrients and what the test kits say i presume) But i like my water changes and it works for me :)

19. Meneer

Meneer

But doesn't RO filters get rid of trace elements as well?

20. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

It does but the we dont want those trace elements in the water. The salt we use to make the mix contains the correct and right amount of each trace element needed for a reef.

I was never a big fan of water changes. I did one in around 4 months or when the corals did not look 100%. Since I had a bad cyano outbreak I have done a few large water changes and I can honestly say that the growth of the corals have increased. They used to look happy but did not grow as fast. Now they do both.

The size and frequency of the water change does depend on the size and bioload of the tank. On my 600L system I do a 25% change once a month now and it seems to be working nicely.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2011
  21. Meneer

Meneer

The reason I asked, was in a few posts up someone said that part of water changes is to replenish trace elements....

Recent Posts