How now?

Reaction score
So I started a small aquarium to get the big one jump started... The small one consists of a 100 liter with a strong filter running... When I started the tank I filled it with water, got the temp right went to get the water tested everything checked out so I got a few fish to get things going for me... I waited four weeks took the fish out placed I pleco in it to see wether a new addition will work in the water... Once again I had the water tested it checked out great so I got two Oscars to go and keep the Pleco company... Upon introducing them to their new home one of the oscars started picking a fight with the other one... Which resulted in it going into hiding and not coming out to eat as the other one will dominate it although they were as close to the same size as I could get. Yesterday afternoon it looked healthy as it was swimming around again and then I saw it gradualy weakening as the evening progressed, I took it out and put it in the holding tank but alas it did not make the night as it just went to lie flat on its side... Could this be because of the other one's bullying or water quality which in any event I wil lbe testing again today...

howsit man
this is mainly a reef forum however there is a section for fresh water fish!
the best advice i could give you with this tank is to take all the fish back to the pet shop and set up a reef tank:slayer:

My bad still learning... Is there someone that can move it for me to the correct section?

im sure one of the moderators will do that for you!!

fresh water are fairly simple as long as you are running a good canister , power filter with plenry plants ,snails and some gravel! basically try keep your tank as close to what it would look like in nature!
what filters are you running?

I am currently running an Aqua H2O AFT 600 which is also a Bio Filter... 500 liter/hour max... I must be doing something wrong...

Hi Novice Tanker - I kept fresh water for +-20 years before going to marines. You should also take into account the possiblity that you have either not acclimitized correctly (that the water parameters you have are completely different to that where the pleco came from) - or that the fish was in such distress due to being caught (at the LFS), brought home, bullied a bit by some other fish, where the Pleco most likely did not even eat for a few days! Do you know whether the pleco was eating well at the LFS?

Also, did you add some salt to your own tank's water (a tiny amount - most fresh water fish life happier and healthier with a small amount of salt in the water)....

Other questions you could perhaps answer as well (And Calvin covered them already) - do you have plants in the tank?
- do you have anough hiding places in the tank?
- what were you trying to feed the pleco? they are originally bottom feeders, and feed mostly off algae - if you do not have algae in your tank - you could/should feed sinking pellets.....
- what's the water temperature of the tank water?

Hope some of this helps.

Jacques

No no the Pleco has been living happily in the water for some time now it is when I added the Oscar's that one died (One of the Oscars)... The one is still swimming strong... So I do not know wether it was water quality or the result of the bullying that the other oscar died... The Pleco is more than happy and eats like a horse as well as the surviving Oscar...

Sorry missed some of the questions water temp is at 27 degrees celcius, No plants although plenty of hiding spots I was advised not to put plants in due to the Oscars digging them up... My pleco lives on cucumber and sinking pellets...

Sounds more like bullying than water params, fresh water fish are a lot more forgiving of differences in water quality than marine, if you look at where most of the exotic fresh water fish come from - lakes and rivers in predominently hot climates - then the water quality is at the mercy of weather conditions i.e. drought, flood and all the associated problems (when you get high rain fall then lots of silt etc can be washed in the lake or river)
So you may have been unlucky and purchased to males/females and they fought over territory.

Well the water test just got back in and it is perfect so I guess it is a question of bullying so I will replace the lost one with ease of mind over water quality... Any suggestions on this will be most welcome...

Well the water test just got back in and it is perfect so I guess it is a question of bullying so I will replace the lost one with ease of mind over water quality... Any suggestions on this will be most welcome...

Before you throw another oscar in, perhaps it would be a good idea to research their particular needs, i.e. can you keep only 2 together or do you need 4 or 5 to prevent bullying? can you tell the sex - to avoid the possibillity of 2 males/2 females etc

Perhaps go for another type of fish?

2 of them is fine the shop gave me both in one bag which was wrong as there was too little space for them and that is where the violent bullying started we thought it would end when they were placed in the aqaurium but it did not so I will try again... And the plus side the big tank will be ready on saturday to start getting some inhabitants

OK - thanks for the explanation. So, I can only assume that you have 2 Oscars then? Or more?
Do you actually notice any proof of bullying/fighting between the fish? (torn fins, cowering, marks on their bodies, etc?)

I monitored the tank for a while and it was evident that the one was intimidating the other one even when it came close to feeding time it would chase it away or nip at it should it come close to the food, it even resulted into a bumping situation and then just before a put the one in the holding tank the other one would lie on top of the scared one for some or other reason... But there were a few gashes along the head as well as the side when I inspected the fish in the holding tank like I said I was a bit too late to save it...

I am waiting for fish to come in that are specific to the family of the oscars so that it will not result in a battle again hence yes at this stage I only have the pleco and Oscar (replacement will be there this afternoon when I get home) the new ones will come as soon as the new tank checks out on all the tests... then I will relocate them to their big home so that there is no territory issues...

Back
Top Bottom