How much weight can a wood cabinet carry?

Reaction score
So, my tank stand/cabinet is made of wood, pretty much looks like this

pxius

here's a link if the pic doesn't show. Pictures by pxius - Photobucket

The thick black lines being wood panels. (obviously the top view doesn't show the "tabletop" piece on which the tank rests.

Anyway,

I've seen 150x45x45 tanks with a "board" in the back, not wood, so pretty much 3 wood panels caring the weight comfortably.

My stand/cupboard actually has a wooden back board giving me even more support. (4 panels total, 3 small, width of the tank, and 1 the length of the tank).

How much weight would you put on this?

16mm thick pressed wood/chipboard.

Last edited:
I dont like chipboard as they easily warp and get rotten with water. I used on a friends tank similar dimentions 2x16mm super wood on the base which was treated with waterproof sealent. The tank is still ok running almost 6 years.

for tank stand use maranti, teak or pine and shutterply for wraps
i use pine and treat it well

if you look on reef central in the DIY section there is a diy stand thread, infact i will try create one here.
wood can be just as strong as steel, all my stands are wood from normal 2x4 and 2x6 pine

Last edited:
My cupboard has at least been properly sealed and treated, but its gana have to carry a good 500KG's.

The DIY cupboards you use in a kitchen also uses chipboard and according to the guy at builders warehouse (i asked because i wanted the tank stand to match the kitchen) it should be able to carry a ton easily...

But I do have my doubts.

Back
Top Bottom