How much power?

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by gaboon, 10 Jun 2008.

1. gaboon

gaboon

I'm looking into a UPS system, need to get a rough idea of how much power a Jager 250w heater draws? Bearing in mind that the tank will already be heated if a when there is a powercut? Can anyone help?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

It draws 250w , that 1.15 amps @ 220V

It would only draw that power when its on to heat the water, otherwise 0.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Gaboon - power usage is measured in WATTS. Therefore the 250 watt... The UPS's are advertised in KVA - KiloVoltAmpere.

1 watt = 1 volt x 1 ampere...

So, theoretically, you can have the following example:
    In a 1.1KVA UPS, you would theoretically be able to load it with devices that use up 1100 watts of energy/power usage....

BUT - they say it is never good to run a UPS/gennie full out - so, you should look at the power usage of devices on your tank (ie, pumps, lights, etc.) that could use up 70% of the available power....

5. lIghty

lIghty

Sorry, And it would only be on when it drops below min temp of the heater, that would depend on serveral factors, biggest being insulation!

6. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks I'm with you. So a 1.5kva UPS would be better, so how many hours would I get out of it. Sorry, my knowledge on power is worse than my DIY, and my DIY sucks!

7. jacquesb

This will depend on many factors Gaboon. The best would be to actually look at specific products (UPS's).
    As they differ in "own" power-consumption (how much power they themselves use up during the time your devices are running on them).
    It depends on what types of batteries they run on/use. ie LikesFish had converted a notmal PC UPS into a decent UPS that would run his tank for something like 10 or 12 hours (I think), by adding deep cycle car batteries to the UPS. Most UPS's come with sealed (acid) batteries (not 100% sure of the name) - similar batteries that you get for remote control gates and alarm systems. These batteries are not designed to last long. Deep Cycle batteries should work far better (much more expensive though).

I know Matt has a "UPS like device" that was built for him. This unit uses the type of battery that I referred to in the first instance.... It seems to work for Matt with his nano, for a few hours at least......

The time it will last will also depend on whether you are buying a new UPS unit, or second hand....

New - the unit you are ferring to should be able to keep a 1.2 metre tank with fluorescent lights, and pumps, as well as your heater, for at least 3 or 4 hours - perhaps double that. BUT this I cannot tell 100% for sure..

8. highfive

highfive

I would not recommend running a heater off a UPS... will drain it way too quickly. Rather run return pumps. if there is load shedding it should not affect the temp that much. Rather try insult the room to keep in as much heat as possible. Close windows, curtains closed doors etc... even running a heater off a generator suck power. The are in no way energy effient.

Perhaps get a cheap 75W heater set at 2 degrees below the normal temp, then this will kick in if the temp drops belows this level. Run the small heater off the ups constantly in needed, it should never be needed unless you have a very very long power cut, and even then it will struggle, but it will keep the tank warm for the short term.

9. jacquesb

Good comment HighFive.. Perhaps invest in a gas (cadac) heater - which could keep the complete room AND the tank warm :)

Alternatively do what I we do at hope - burn candles and "methane cooking gel" in vases - this warms up the whole ground floor of our town-house to +-27 degrees - and the tank water then slowly heats up again..... :)

10. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

The water temp now in winter is what I'm concerned about the most. What I could do is get polystyrene sheets from builders warehouse to insulate if it is a big problem.

I've heard modified sinewave shortens the life of pumps. The problem is a pure sinewave UPS is over R3000 more than the modified. Would be cheaper to just replace the pump. Any views on this?

11. Andreas

Andreas

hi gaboon. I would suggest you invest in a proper deep-cycle battery as jacques has suggested and currently has running on his system. a deep-cycle battery is designed to be completely drained (hence the number of plates and weight of them) and will last many years if you fully charge them afterwards. running a cheap bilge pump that they use in boats would be perfect to run for many hours off these batteries.

I have bought a deltec 105A battery for something like R1200 that would suit most tanks

12. highfive

highfive

I run two retunr pumps off a modified sinewave, and have not had any problems at all. I am very happy with them, the load shedding does not affect me at all...;)

Recent Posts