How much lighting?

Reaction score
Hey
I am starting up my aquarium! My tank is 1600mmx450mmX700mm (470l)
How much light do i need and what type?
Do I need metal halide? and T5's? how many watts and kelvins?
I am getting mixed advice from the petshops I've visited for information!
I am considering not only fish but also invertebrates (anemones ect)

thanks

a warm welcome to MASA Lemar.:wave2:

Lighting is not that important for a FOWLR setup and anything that is pleasing to the eye should be fine.
Is your tank 450 or 700 deep?I would suggest metal halides for a 700deep setup and T5's for supplemental lighting.But in saying that many reefers have great success with T5's only.The only down fall is the cost of many bulbs etc.

My tank is 700 deep. but looking at prices the MH very expensive. Let's say i decide to buy MH and T5's, how many watts of each will I need?

My tank is 700 deep. but looking at prices the MH very expensive. Let's say i decide to buy MH and T5's, how many watts of each will I need?

If you going keep loads of SPS and clams you would need to ideally look at least 2 x 250w MH and 4 x 54 or 80w T5's

Contact Eco Aquatics (sponsor) and ask for the prices.Very reasonable :)

Guys - why do you all suggest 250watts metal halides?
Lemar does not mention keeping SPS at all..... my tank is 700mm high, but my water level is only 450mm deep. I have 2 x 150 watt metal halides and 5 x 54watt T5's....

IMarine has 8 x 80 watt T5's in a unit that's mounted +-450/500mm about his tank's water surface..... and his SPS is growing better than ever......????

If you going keep loads of SPS and clams you would need to ideally look at least 2 x 250w MH and 4 x 54 or 80w T5's

Lemar does not mention keeping SPS at all..... my tank is 700mm high, but my water level is only 450mm deep. I have 2 x 150 watt metal halides and 5 x 54watt T5's....

:whistling::whistling:

IMarine has 8 x 80 watt T5's in a unit that's mounted +-450/500mm about his tank's water surface..... and his SPS is growing better than ever......????

I've decided against the sps jacquesb, so no worries. So the 150W mh will do?
One other question, the light fittings are standard, and the one i've ordered (well within my price range as they are hecticly expensive) is 3X150W MH and 2X54W T5's (which is 20000kelvins) and LED moonlights. Just like to know can I (if i want to at a later stage) replace the 54W T'5 with 80W or will this not work?
Also i see on everybody's profiles they've got all these different types of T5's.
How will i do this seeing that I have a standard light fitting. Do these guys just add them on or how? Sorry if this is a stupid question, it's just baffling me.

I've decided against the sps jacquesb, so no worries. So the 150W mh will do?
One other question, the light fittings are standard, and the one i've ordered (well within my price range as they are hecticly expensive) is 3X150W MH and 2X54W T5's (which is 20000kelvins) and LED moonlights. Just like to know can I (if i want to at a later stage) replace the 54W T'5 with 80W or will this not work?
Also i see on everybody's profiles they've got all these different types of T5's.
How will i do this seeing that I have a standard light fitting. Do these guys just add them on or how? Sorry if this is a stupid question, it's just baffling me.

Hi Lemar - that light unit sounds AWESOME! I am very sure that you will be more than happy with it. You tell me that they are expensive! About a month ago I bought a 2 x 150 watt unit (also 2 x 54 watt T5's - blue/actinics) - the brand being AquaMedic - I paid R6800 for mine! REALLY BLOODY EXPENSIVE!

But, I MUST say - it was worth the cost! I was and still am very pleased with the tank's look now!

The difference in the T5's are as follows:
- brand - Geissemann is most likely some of the best, but also the most expensive per globe (between R390 and R500 per globe). ATI and AquaMedic are also quite good, but just below Geissemann in pricing: ie. between R280 and R400 per globe.
The Sylvania is not AS GOOD as the other 3 brands, but they are really very good value for money (At "The Lamphouse" here in Cape Town I paid +-R75 for each of my T5 Sylvania AquaStar globes - pinkish white).... They sell for +-R115 at the LFS's....
- T5 sizes: 54watt (1.2 metre), 39watt, 24watt.....

Back
Top Bottom