How much light for trumpet coral?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Howzit reefers, can anyone tell me how much light does a trumpet coral need to grow? I'm nursing one since I got it and it was high up in the tank. I have a 250w 14000k MH and it didn't seem to grow at all.
I moved it lower now yesterday, was that the right move? I have it for 4 months now and it's not dying nor growing, the skeleton is showing and there are only small green "bubbles" on the top. Can someone help?:blushing:

It is the one in the foreground, it slowly deteriorated, then came back and now it is standing still - not growing. There is not a lot of green left on it. Before I got it from someone, it was out the water for some time. Then only was it put in a bag. This was taken 1 day after I got it.

DSC00231.gif

Hi Tobes - as far as I know, they do not require TOO much lighting. With a 250 watt MH, you might be "over-lighting" the LPS. Also, I do not think that it likes too much water flow. So, perhaps a corner where there's not TOO much light, neither TOO much water flow?

I would keep them lower in the tank, dont need too much light and moderate water flow.

Also check you calcium and alkalinity. I had a alkalinity problem and mine did not do too well. Fixed that (and it's not in too bright light) and all going well again.

They need medium light with medium flow. You also have to feed them at least twice a week. Obviously your water parameters must be good. Otherwise a very hardy coral. Are there any other corals close by that may be able to damage it? i.e other lps or softies.

Agreed, mine has average flow, halfway to the bottom of the tank

Thanks guys, moved him down 2 days ago and it looks a bit better now. Nico, there are no other corals close by to damage it. I feed coral frenzy 2-3 times a week - is that ok? What food does this coral prefer?

Thanks guys, moved him down 2 days ago and it looks a bit better now. Nico, there are no other corals close by to damage it. I feed coral frenzy 2-3 times a week - is that ok? What food does this coral prefer?

If you can grow it - Phytoplankton

Tobes, I use Mysis shrimp, Krill, brine shrimp and cyclop eeze. Pop it in a blender to chop it up and target feed. Works very well and also for other lps corals.

i was reading a thread on that here from which I gathered that there are other variables including water flow and location of the frag and yeh, the lighting... has anyone had any success here with any particular recipe?

:peroni: wow cool icon

Back
Top Bottom