How much does my tank cost to run.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by leslie hempel, 29 Apr 2009.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Ok im really close to just giving up now, i got the dreaded visit from the landlord telling me his electricity has gone up by between R350 and R400 a month since we moved in.

im trying to establish what my total tanks electricity consumption is can you guys help..

here is what i run and the time i run them for

5 x 65w pumps (continious) 24 hours a day
    2 x 150w metal hailides 7 hours a day
    2 x 54w T5 7 hours a day
    1 x 650w chiller (24 hours a day but basically on for 10 minutes in an hour)
    1 x 300w heater (barley working unless i do a water change)
    1 x vortech pump (30w but turned down so probably less)
    1 x 38w pump (contious)

if my calculations are correct thats 1751 watt if all running @ full pace.

im so tight i simply cant squeeze any more cash out of my tiny budget for my tank..

time to weigh up my options tank or surfing..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Leslie - sorry to hear that. BUT - in ALL fairness - the electricity costs has increased 27% already as well - so, I cannot see that they can blame that on you....

Our electricity has gone up, in the nearly 4 years we live here, from R300 per month, to R900 per month.

I had to put the geyser on a timer (now only on for 5 hours in the day - saving me 19 hours) - and my electricity have gone down now, by R200 per month!

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

im happy to pay R150 extra but i pay one hell of alot more in this place than in the last.. anyone know the price per kw? if im correct im running 1.75kw? correct?

5. brettb2020

brettb2020

leslie electricity costs about 45c per Kw hour. so for example if you run a 2kw item for an hour it will cost 45c x 2 = 90c

so your pumps will cost:

5 x 56 = 325w = 0,325kw

0.325kw x 45c = 14.625c per hour

14.625 x 24 hours = R3.51 per day

R3.51 x 30 days in a month = R105 a month

your pumps are pulling the most as they are on 24/7 and you have alot!! lol. next will be your lights. the rest isnt using to much. can work them out like i did above.

unfortionately electricity has gone up. dont let eishkom make you stop your tank. :thumbup:

6. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

jeez man thats heavy! i think you right les 1.75kw.that is unfair for your landlord to blame you bru things have gone up hecticly and the cost of living has become insane!

hope you figure everything out bud.like you said before you can focus on your surfing now and allways start a tank again but! things are not going to get any cheaper man so can you imagine what its going to cost in a couple years time to run a tank or even to start everything from scratch again.

just my 2c;)

later bud:)

7. Tridan

Tridan

Hey les not good news bud, just out of interest tho it costs me about R180.00 to R200.00 a month just on the tank and the chiller sucks juice especially on start up.

But good luck mate.

8. seank

seank

Just read that electricity is going up another 36% in June

9. leslie hempel

thank you for the response guys, im just looking for a fair amount to suggest when he comes back to talk.. said id do my homework and go from there, considering my water and lights are INCLUDED!!! i am quite happy to give a little as my lease says i should use energy savers wherever possible.. im clearly not doing that running hailides..

gonna look at the geyser timer (he can install that as it will remain a fixture im sure)

10. leslie hempel

hey sean'o you put a smile on my face..

11. seank

seank

Yeah Les, I am also depressed big time re electricity. My electricity at home is running at R2500.00 average now and I still need to put in the new hardware and pumps. Had someone at my house today, selling some sort of gadget that they install on/in/out (not sure) your Geyser and it can drop your electric bill with about R250.00. But it is not helping me much, especially now that I read that the electricity is going up once more- not nice

12. Tridan

Tridan

sean you wanna save bucks on electricity this is the way, a mate of mine owns this company and i have installed, used and tested many units this is by far top of the range and pays for itself very quickly. The savings we have generated from these units is massive. not trying to punt a product here but just really believe in lowering every households carbon footprint.

O and dont fall for the , " we will put this box on your geyser and it will save you money" I cant remember the exact name of the product, add on to the geyser but remember that it did work but not as well as it was supposed to.

Home Page
    solar homepage

13. brentnorm

brentnorm

What is this product?

14. Tridan

Tridan

What one the solar or the geyser add on, cant comment on the geyser add on as i tend to file useless info in the rubbish bin.

But if you want info on the solar panels click here Home Page

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

Solar is the answer. Do you know that in Germany homes produce 400 Mega Watts of power that runs certain parts of the houses electricity and the access is added to the power grid, so the government has heavily subsidised the product.

Great idea, but I don't think GREEDY Eskom would allow it.

Sean, even with the increase in June, RSA has some of the cheapest energy prices in the world, excluding oil nations.

16. leslie hempel

agreed but the salary pd in relation to the costs we endure and the service delivery we recieve are debatable, in short you get what you pay for.

17. FransSny

FransSny

Warr..eskom is actually subsidising installation of solar geysers (up to =/- R 5500 discount), the only catch is you must buy from their approved suppliers (on their website), I got a qoute beginnig of the year and even afetr the discount , the price came to a lovely R 30 K...for a sytem to accomodate 4 people

Last edited by a moderator: 1 May 2009
  18. Warr7207

Warr7207

I checked my latest elec. bill and we pay 0.40 per kWh +vat

Confirms brettb2020 calculations :thumbup1:

19. JD167

JD167

Funny how Eskom tells us to save electricity, then complain that they didn't make enough revenue to build new infrastructure because people are using less, so they push the prices up... How can you ever win?

Recent Posts