How much damage are we causing?

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by NADEEM, 8 Oct 2012.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hello all, i love this hobby as most others in this forum, we will spend so much time and money on our tanks and to provide our fish and inverts and corals with the best possible conditions and we are able to sit in outr lounge/room/fishroom and enjoy out little piece of ocean.

I have been thinking and we as hobbyists are creating such a great demand for marine livestock, this is surely impacting our oceans negatively.

Our natural reefs are definitely suffering, is it worth it? to have a lovely tank in our house and by this, helping destroy the oceans?

we can say that we do not create as much impact as the people who are removing marine organisms for whatever other reasons, BUT, we are impacting the ocean, and if you think about it, its actually a huge impact.

What do you guys think of this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. vatso

vatso

I think there is a part of this happening - but we are now with SPS cultivating corals and sharing with one another and that's a good thing

this is also happening with some suppliers - there are way worse things happening to our reefs which we not part of

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I belive the answer lies in aquaculture, but we have been down that road too....

6. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

In my opinion I regard this as damaging the environment and we do it in more ways than we think, so blaming our hobby aint gna cut it as personally quiting marines is worth than quitting cigerettes :lol: and if we quite for for the do good for the environment then we might aswell not drive our cars etc

Just my thort as I've seen a documentary on what global warming is doing to our reefs, way worst than wat we doin and we are the cause of global warming ....so either or ,we buggering up

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

To catch one adult Napoleon Wrasse, about a square meter or more part of a coral reef is destroyed. Cyanide is used to daze the fish, and it hides inside the reef. Then physically the reef get smashed down, broken apart, just to get to that one fish. And the fish is doomed anyway. It will die within 12 days due to the cyanide. All this for the food market.

More is destroyed in catching one fish, than what we have in our tanks. Not only that fish that dies, but everything that was around him due to the cyanide. Inverts, corals, juveniles and whatever else was unlucky to hide in close proximity. More live stock, than what I have in my tank.

And, I'm being made to feel like the guilty party? The impact Marine hobby have on the reefs are extremely small. Compared to other human activities.

Recent Posts