How many power points?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by KevinW, 1 Jan 2008.

1. KevinW

KevinW

Looking at redoing my wiring again as I still underestimated the number of plug points to put in the last time that I did it. So decided to ask you all......How many plug points do you need to run a marine system without having to resort to multiplugs, double adapters etc?

By the way - Happy New Year to you all!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LikesFish

LikesFish

Depends on how many equipment you have. And what kind of equipment. For instance, my Giesemann light pendant has 3 plugs - one for 2xT5, one for 2xT5 and one for the two MH. So that uses up 3 plugs already.

4. KevinW

KevinW Thread Starter

And there I was thinking that it was difficult :razz:! Perhaps I should have asked the question differently...What is the general consensus on the optimum number of plug points?

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sheees,i must be got aroud 20-30 plugs on a i'll say 6 adapters.
    And Happy new year

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

nevr enough!!

7. Tom

Tom

Twenty would be a good amount, perhaps four extend a plug strips that have two prong and three prong points. Just always make sure the plugs are on an earth leakage.

8. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I'd also say at least 20... Try think of all the things you need to plug in then double it :p Also timers can get in the way a bit. I also find those 1 3-pin to 3 2-pin adapters very handy...

9. silvano14

silvano14

Did a quick count on mine and I have 30 points. Also have the 3-2 combination. I still have a few empty points but I am sure by the end of the year I will need to add some more. Plus the timers sometime occupy more than one plug as they are a bit large.

Suppose it also depends how big your setup is. I also went on the side of caution and have a spare of most necessities. Two skimmers, 2 return pumps, 4 heaters.

10. lIghty

lIghty

Kevin, what I would advise is to really think it thru.... 1st Q: Are you going to use some sort of back up power (genset, UPS), because if you are you mite want to run separate curcuits for back up and main line with a auto switch, in other word a set of plugs, that in the event of a power cut, would be isolated from the mains so that you would not have to unplug half your system before you start the genny or ups, as depending on the size of it you may only be able to a limited amount of equipment.

Hope that made sense. (Let me know if you need more assistance) :)

11. KevinW

KevinW Thread Starter

Thanks lIghty. I do run the whole system off a single source so that I can add a UPS/generator. Have not got around to adding that into the equation yet but I am looking at one of those auto switchover systems.....all I got to do is find one that does not cost the earth!

I tend to agree with Silvano14 I have a total of 15 at present (mixture of two and three pin) and am struggling. One of the reasons that I do not like the extenda plug solutions is that the timers etc do take up more than one plug so I will be putting in double wall plug boxes. Guess 30 is a safe bet.

Thanks all.

12. lIghty

lIghty

I could build one for you (or help you) , shouldn't cost much at all, take a wild guess but mayby R100 or R200...

13. KevinW

KevinW Thread Starter

Thanks lIghty, think that I could stretch to meet that budget! Would you be able to build me one - my last interaction with circuits was building crystal radios in the 60's!

Recent Posts